Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  18:27:31  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
just been reading through the 'Off Corn' stuff about Royals, seems like quite a few corn-owners have them too. And quite a few are fussy feeders! I've only had Queenie a week and he's refused a feed twice, I realise he's not really had much time to settle in yet so I'm not overly worried at this point. I've read lots of things on what to do with fussy feeders but.....
what, in people's experience, does actually work??

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

n/a
deleted

300 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  18:37:03  Show Profile
if was you id just let him setle in for another couple day and try agian

cb07 - male - corn snake
cb07 - male - red tailed boa
cb06 - female - salmon pink tarantula
wc - male-female - asian forest scorpions
indian stick insects
2 african land snails

soon to be mine-
4 red bellied toads or a emperor scorpion cant decide :P
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

300 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  18:37:03  Show Profile
if was you id just let him setle in for another couple day and try agian

cb07 - male - corn snake
cb07 - male - red tailed boa
cb06 - female - salmon pink tarantula
wc - male-female - asian forest scorpions
indian stick insects
2 african land snails

soon to be mine-
4 red bellied toads or a emperor scorpion cant decide :P
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  19:20:28  Show Profile
try gerbils their natural food source.

dark coloured mice - not white ones.

night feeding

pushing the nose of the mouse through the lips of the python face on & kind of gently wiggling it a bit to get it into the mouth. then see if the snake takes over - not quite the same as assist/force feeding.

try to replicate what a live mouse would do if let into the viv. so kind of walk it around the viv (using long forceps) over objects stop then wiggle it around as if the mouse is walking & exploring again but trying to get the snakes attention at the same time. This is better for a python housed alone as if one snake did get tempted by the scent it could strike the other snake by mistake.

Edited by - n/a on 01/07/2008 19:22:01
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  19:20:28  Show Profile
try gerbils their natural food source.

dark coloured mice - not white ones.

night feeding

pushing the nose of the mouse through the lips of the python face on & kind of gently wiggling it a bit to get it into the mouth. then see if the snake takes over - not quite the same as assist/force feeding.

try to replicate what a live mouse would do if let into the viv. so kind of walk it around the viv (using long forceps) over objects stop then wiggle it around as if the mouse is walking & exploring again but trying to get the snakes attention at the same time. This is better for a python housed alone as if one snake did get tempted by the scent it could strike the other snake by mistake.

Edited by - n/a on 01/07/2008 19:22:01
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  19:28:28  Show Profile
What a good title :D

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  19:28:28  Show Profile

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

201 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  09:38:14  Show Profile
I tried just about everything with my new royal that i got in May. Firstly i left him to settle in for 11 days before i went anywhere near him then gradually started to show him my hand in his tank for a few days to show i was no threat then handled for a few miniutes each day before i tried to feed but he didnt show any interest. I tried night feeding, day feeding, taking out of his viv and trying in a RUB or leaving him in his viv and feeding him there, even leaving the feed in overnight, i tried refreezing a thawed mouse as i read some where that may work and i even went to my local pet shop to get some sawdust that had come out of a gerbils cage to make the mice smell, but unfortunately all to no avail, eventually i did what moneymaker as just said and wiggled the mouse under his bottom lip until he opened his mouth and then he took it. He seemed to take it easily once he`d realised what it was so maybe he might recognise it more easily in future, but i doubt it.

Edited by - n/a on 02/07/2008 09:39:09
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

201 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  09:38:14  Show Profile
I tried just about everything with my new royal that i got in May. Firstly i left him to settle in for 11 days before i went anywhere near him then gradually started to show him my hand in his tank for a few days to show i was no threat then handled for a few miniutes each day before i tried to feed but he didnt show any interest. I tried night feeding, day feeding, taking out of his viv and trying in a RUB or leaving him in his viv and feeding him there, even leaving the feed in overnight, i tried refreezing a thawed mouse as i read some where that may work and i even went to my local pet shop to get some sawdust that had come out of a gerbils cage to make the mice smell, but unfortunately all to no avail, eventually i did what moneymaker as just said and wiggled the mouse under his bottom lip until he opened his mouth and then he took it. He seemed to take it easily once he`d realised what it was so maybe he might recognise it more easily in future, but i doubt it.

Edited by - n/a on 02/07/2008 09:39:09
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  10:23:31  Show Profile
nice one

you could also try gently tapping the tip of the tail with the mouse too some may start to rattle but it quickly gets their attention & most of the time they get defensive. What then happens is you wiggle the food item in front of them & hopefully thet strike in aggression. dont worry if you have to do this each time you feed for a while it wont make the snake aggressive when handled etc. the idea is that the snake realizes the food & you wont need to do this any longer anyway. if the snake retreats either try the same tail tapping technique later with a different mouse or the next day. Other wise keep tapping the tail & wiggling the food item in front of the snake maybe even gently nudging the nose of the snake too until it takes the pinky/mouse. it might help to keep the pinky pressed gentlly against the snake mouth/lips to encourage the snake to open up.

Dont give up but at the same time dont stress the snake if it really isn't interested. if it tries to escape or slither off quickly it wont work - til next time lol. the attention span to feed is thought to be 10 to 15 minutes so after that it's unlikely the snake will still be interested in feeding.

Edited by - n/a on 02/07/2008 10:25:47
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  10:23:31  Show Profile
nice one

you could also try gently tapping the tip of the tail with the mouse too some may start to rattle but it quickly gets their attention & most of the time they get defensive. What then happens is you wiggle the food item in front of them & hopefully thet strike in aggression. dont worry if you have to do this each time you feed for a while it wont make the snake aggressive when handled etc. the idea is that the snake realizes the food & you wont need to do this any longer anyway. if the snake retreats either try the same tail tapping technique later with a different mouse or the next day. Other wise keep tapping the tail & wiggling the food item in front of the snake maybe even gently nudging the nose of the snake too until it takes the pinky/mouse. it might help to keep the pinky pressed gentlly against the snake mouth/lips to encourage the snake to open up.

Dont give up but at the same time dont stress the snake if it really isn't interested. if it tries to escape or slither off quickly it wont work - til next time lol. the attention span to feed is thought to be 10 to 15 minutes so after that it's unlikely the snake will still be interested in feeding.

Edited by - n/a on 02/07/2008 10:25:47
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  10:28:41  Show Profile
just realized that technique is for corn snakes LOL not royals need more coffee (done this last night too)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  10:28:41  Show Profile
just realized that technique is for corn snakes LOL not royals need more coffee (done this last night too)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  13:00:24  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

it was a flash of inspiration..... or alcohol???

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  13:00:24  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

it was a flash of inspiration..... or alcohol???

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  16:51:57  Show Profile
have you tried braining the food first.
not sure if it will work for you, or if it is ok for royals, but i read somewhere that if you split the head and expose the brain the snake can smell the blood/brain and becomes more interested.

i know it may seem i little disgusting but it if it works, its worth a try.

wot you think moneymaker

Edited by - dazb on 02/07/2008 16:53:17
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  16:51:57  Show Profile
have you tried braining the food first.
not sure if it will work for you, or if it is ok for royals, but i read somewhere that if you split the head and expose the brain the snake can smell the blood/brain and becomes more interested.

i know it may seem i little disgusting but it if it works, its worth a try.

wot you think moneymaker

Edited by - dazb on 02/07/2008 16:53:17
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  17:18:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
yeah I brained the last pinkie, it's not as bad as it sounds as their skulls are very soft. I'll try everyone's ideas over the next few weeks, thanks folks will keep you posted!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  17:18:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
yeah I brained the last pinkie, it's not as bad as it sounds as their skulls are very soft. I'll try everyone's ideas over the next few weeks, thanks folks will keep you posted!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  17:22:20  Show Profile
Now I am getting absolutely confused if this thread is about royals still or not lol.

as far as I know I've not heard of royals eating pinky mice they're too small they should start on hoppers/small mice.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  17:22:20  Show Profile
Now I am getting absolutely confused if this thread is about royals still or not lol.

as far as I know I've not heard of royals eating pinky mice they're too small they should start on hoppers/small mice.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000