Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  18:21:56  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
sorry, wasn't a pinkie it was a large fuzzy and yes we're still on about Royals! I'm defrosting different sized mice just about every day I'm losing track... I'm going maaaaaad!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  18:21:56  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
sorry, wasn't a pinkie it was a large fuzzy and yes we're still on about Royals! I'm defrosting different sized mice just about every day I'm losing track... I'm going maaaaaad!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  22:09:20  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE

Queenie took a mouse last night!
I worked out it had been 4 weeks since he last took a mouse (according to the petshop) so I thought I'd try him again, it was quite late (midnight ish).
First off he just curled up and didn't want to know so I pestered him by gently swinging the mouse against his tail. That got his attention and when he got annoyed with it banging his tail he struck at the mouse and coiled round it a few times. Great I thought job done......... but no, checked 10 mins later and Queenie's curled up under his slate and the mouse is in the middle of the viv.
Round 2 was pretty much the same tactics, moving the mouse round the viv like it was alive then nudging Queenie's tail with it till he struck but this time I completely covered the RUB so it was totally dark. 10 mins later not a mouse to be seen.... what a clever boy he is.... and thanks for all the suggestions guys, I really thought I might have to resort to force-feeding soon!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  22:09:20  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE

Queenie took a mouse last night!
I worked out it had been 4 weeks since he last took a mouse (according to the petshop) so I thought I'd try him again, it was quite late (midnight ish).
First off he just curled up and didn't want to know so I pestered him by gently swinging the mouse against his tail. That got his attention and when he got annoyed with it banging his tail he struck at the mouse and coiled round it a few times. Great I thought job done......... but no, checked 10 mins later and Queenie's curled up under his slate and the mouse is in the middle of the viv.
Round 2 was pretty much the same tactics, moving the mouse round the viv like it was alive then nudging Queenie's tail with it till he struck but this time I completely covered the RUB so it was totally dark. 10 mins later not a mouse to be seen.... what a clever boy he is.... and thanks for all the suggestions guys, I really thought I might have to resort to force-feeding soon!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  22:33:57  Show Profile
well done to the snake

hopefully it will get easier each time you feed & if it turns out like my ones used to be you will have to watch your hands. Even with 12" forceps they enjoyed attempting to strike my hand before launching at the mouse & coiling round it for ages.

Probably as their heat pits sensed the heat from my hand being 'hotter' thn the warm mouse.

Rattle snakes, which are advanced pit vipers can detect 0.001 *C temp change from 2 ft away !!!!!

I think we can detect 2*C temp change but probably not from 2ft away more like 2 inches away lol.

Edited by - n/a on 08/07/2008 22:37:31
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  22:33:57  Show Profile
well done to the snake

hopefully it will get easier each time you feed & if it turns out like my ones used to be you will have to watch your hands. Even with 12" forceps they enjoyed attempting to strike my hand before launching at the mouse & coiling round it for ages.

Probably as their heat pits sensed the heat from my hand being 'hotter' thn the warm mouse.

Rattle snakes, which are advanced pit vipers can detect 0.001 *C temp change from 2 ft away !!!!!

I think we can detect 2*C temp change but probably not from 2ft away more like 2 inches away lol.

Edited by - n/a on 08/07/2008 22:37:31
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  23:04:55  Show Profile
http://www.kingsnake.com/ballpythonguide/

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  23:04:55  Show Profile