Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

n/a
deleted

190 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2008 :  19:41:08  Show Profile
Just read down, dont know if its been mentioned.

You think your snake is eggbound.

feel the belly over. if it feels like it has solid lumps in it, then she is eggbound.

You can gently massage her belly in a warm bath.

If nothing comes out, get to the vets asap, they will give her a shot of calcium and a shot of oxytocin, they should give you a couple to take home wite you.

Its better to get to the vets asap, otherwise they eggs will dry out and she may have to be operated on, which isnt cheap.

Another thing that can happen is she pushes to hard and prolapses, not a pretty sight, happened to me, and yet again, another large vet bill

Get another enclosure for your male, your females are way to young to breed, and it could kill them.

Visit www.AS-Exotics.co.uk

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

190 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2008 :  19:41:08  Show Profile
Just read down, dont know if its been mentioned.

You think your snake is eggbound.

feel the belly over. if it feels like it has solid lumps in it, then she is eggbound.

You can gently massage her belly in a warm bath.

If nothing comes out, get to the vets asap, they will give her a shot of calcium and a shot of oxytocin, they should give you a couple to take home wite you.

Its better to get to the vets asap, otherwise they eggs will dry out and she may have to be operated on, which isnt cheap.

Another thing that can happen is she pushes to hard and prolapses, not a pretty sight, happened to me, and yet again, another large vet bill

Get another enclosure for your male, your females are way to young to breed, and it could kill them.

Visit www.AS-Exotics.co.uk

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  07:42:12  Show Profile
Hi Guys. My other babies have been on there summer holidays which is why I haven't posted for a while. The eggs have been looking perfect, although as the incubator hasn't turned up they are still in the viv. Anyway I got worried they may not be warm enough (I don't know why I thought that) so I put the plastic box with an inch of substrate directly onto the heat mat. After a week at least half of the eggs have started to collapse to varying degrees. Have I killed them or now that I have moved them again, can they be rescued? Also, someone mentioned that snakes can lay infertile eggs - how will I know if mine has? She laid on 18th June and they have looked great for a month before I clearly did something stupid! When would it become obvious that they are not fertile? Thanks!

Anery Motley F: Callisto
Snow M: Europa
Carolina Reverse Okeetee F: Io
Anery Motley F: Kinky
Snow F: Maite

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  07:42:12  Show Profile
Hi Guys. My other babies have been on there summer holidays which is why I haven't posted for a while. The eggs have been looking perfect, although as the incubator hasn't turned up they are still in the viv. Anyway I got worried they may not be warm enough (I don't know why I thought that) so I put the plastic box with an inch of substrate directly onto the heat mat. After a week at least half of the eggs have started to collapse to varying degrees. Have I killed them or now that I have moved them again, can they be rescued? Also, someone mentioned that snakes can lay infertile eggs - how will I know if mine has? She laid on 18th June and they have looked great for a month before I clearly did something stupid! When would it become obvious that they are not fertile? Thanks!

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  16:40:48  Show Profile
In a week or two of laying, infertile eggs go yellow. Collapsing could be from excess heat & not enough humidity, basically they're cooked. I wouldn't recommend eating them, although each to their own, but just keep an eye on tem & maybe check the temps & humidity (how moist the substrate is that the eggs are buried in).
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  16:40:48  Show Profile
In a week or two of laying, infertile eggs go yellow. Collapsing could be from excess heat & not enough humidity, basically they're cooked. I wouldn't recommend eating them, although each to their own, but just keep an eye on tem & maybe check the temps & humidity (how moist the substrate is that the eggs are buried in).
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  16:54:01  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
You could candle them to see if they are fertile, how long have they been hatched for, they do tend to collapse a little before hatching.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  16:54:01  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
You could candle them to see if they are fertile, how long have they been hatched for, they do tend to collapse a little before hatching.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  17:11:55  Show Profile
She laid on the 18th June so exactly one calendar month, which I believe is too early for hatching. I have moved them onto a cooler spot now. They never went yellow so they must have been/still are fertile. I'm so cross with myself. This could have been my first time and a success too! The substrate is very wet and there are always water droplets on the lid so I believe it is humid and moist. Thanks for the advice!

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  17:11:55  Show Profile
She laid on the 18th June so exactly one calendar month, which I believe is too early for hatching. I have moved them onto a cooler spot now. They never went yellow so they must have been/still are fertile. I'm so cross with myself. This could have been my first time and a success too! The substrate is very wet and there are always water droplets on the lid so I believe it is humid and moist. Thanks for the advice!

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  20:16:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
If you shine a bright light on them in the dark can you see veins in the egg?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  20:16:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
If you shine a bright light on them in the dark can you see veins in the egg?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  23:24:05  Show Profile
The one egg which I picked up had veins so now I feel really guilty if I've killed my babies.:( At least three stil look good so you never know! Is there a correlation between temperature and length of gestation?

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  23:24:05  Show Profile
The one egg which I picked up had veins so now I feel really guilty if I've killed my babies.:( At least three stil look good so you never know! Is there a correlation between temperature and length of gestation?

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  23:38:44  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
http://www.aboutsnakes.com/corn_snakes/cornsnakehatching.html

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  23:38:44  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
http://www.aboutsnakes.com/corn_snakes/cornsnakehatching.html

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2008 :  13:43:36  Show Profile
yeah the warmer the eggs are the quicker they should hatch. The cooler the eggs are the longer it will take to hatch. Did you mean incubation rather than gestation ?

If you meant gestation; no I dont think so as it can vary from 45 to 60 days which would more likely be size/age of snake, health & clutch size (amount of eggs being carried).
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2008 :  13:43:36  Show Profile
yeah the warmer the eggs are the quicker they should hatch. The cooler the eggs are the longer it will take to hatch. Did you mean incubation rather than gestation ?

If you meant gestation; no I dont think so as it can vary from 45 to 60 days which would more likely be size/age of snake, health & clutch size (amount of eggs being carried).
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2008 :  13:47:49  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I'm guessing incubation.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2008 :  13:47:49  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I'm guessing incubation.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000