Is my snake female?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

481 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  23:06:21  Show Profile
Hi, im really confused, i have( what i was told was) a male and female corn but i have just got another 2, male and female and the male i already had is trying to get jiggy with the new female as soon as i put her in the tank but never tries it (that i see) with the female that i already had. I f she is female wouldn't he have trie getting it on with her as well or maybe he doesnt fancy her? Help im confused! Sorry its long

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  01:32:39  Show Profile
Lol, erm have you tried the very inaccurate method of sexing via counting "her" tail scales, they say you should use a complete slough from the snake in question and count the number of scales in the 2 rows down after the vent, if it is less than 130 you have a girl (probably) and it’s just your male is picky apparently, if it is 140 or more then it’s a boy, in-between is a grey area. Though the best way would to go and get it sexed. But thinking about it if it where another boy then when you put the new female in a fight would have ensued I would think? Sorry I cant be of any more help L

http://www.dksnakes.co.uk/a_beginners_guide_to_safe_ways_o.htm

Vikki
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  01:32:39  Show Profile
Lol, erm have you tried the very inaccurate method of sexing via counting "her" tail scales, they say you should use a complete slough from the snake in question and count the number of scales in the 2 rows down after the vent, if it is less than 130 you have a girl (probably) and it’s just your male is picky apparently, if it is 140 or more then it’s a boy, in-between is a grey area. Though the best way would to go and get it sexed. But thinking about it if it where another boy then when you put the new female in a fight would have ensued I would think? Sorry I cant be of any more help L

http://www.dksnakes.co.uk/a_beginners_guide_to_safe_ways_o.htm

Vikki
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

481 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  14:40:58  Show Profile
Thank you, im gonna try that counting the scales, it just really confused me :S
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

481 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  14:40:58  Show Profile
Thank you, im gonna try that counting the scales, it just really confused me :S
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  14:49:34  Show Profile
some 'first time' males dont get it right straight away so this could be why or maybe the female is just not interested.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  14:49:34  Show Profile
some 'first time' males dont get it right straight away so this could be why or maybe the female is just not interested.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  15:13:11  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
If you compare male and female adults tails they're quite different, males have longer tails (from vent to tip) than females and females taper quite sharply after their vent. If you've got one of each sex to look at the difference is more obvious. Or if in doubt you could take them down to your local rep shop and ask an experienced person to probe them for you :-)

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  15:13:11  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
If you compare male and female adults tails they're quite different, males have longer tails (from vent to tip) than females and females taper quite sharply after their vent. If you've got one of each sex to look at the difference is more obvious. Or if in doubt you could take them down to your local rep shop and ask an experienced person to probe them for you :-)

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

481 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  20:41:44  Show Profile
Thanx everyone, im gonna take a pic of under her tail and try to count then i think im might nip them all down to my rep shop tomorrow to double check. Thanx again
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

481 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  20:41:44  Show Profile
Thanx everyone, im gonna take a pic of under her tail and try to count then i think im might nip them all down to my rep shop tomorrow to double check. Thanx again
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000