Handling
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

71 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  18:01:25  Show Profile
Hi, just out of curiosty does it hurt if a corn snake bites.
Just got mine not too big but when i went to put him in the viv he was like sort of coiled up and sort of an S shape dont know if this means if i went to pic him up he would of bit or what? Then my dad said dont be scared, i said im not im just being cautious cos (s)he is probably stressed. Then he went to pick Him/her up from the top and it kinda freaked and like sort of "jumped" into the viv (side opening not top)
So how do i know if im gonna get bit, and does it hurt. btw im 16 and my pain threshold is little more than avarage i think :)

Regards,
Blake

Many Thanks To Solid For The Sig.

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  18:09:22  Show Profile
Hi and welcome to the forum. First of all you shouldn`t really handle the snake for at least a week as it needs time to settle into its new surroundings. It will stress it out if you keep handling it too soon. I haven`t been bitten so far but i hear if it is small then you wont feel a thing, even an adult bite wont really hurt but if you do get bitten and the snake holds on dont pull away as you could pull the snakes teeth out and it could get infected. If it wont let go just put the snake under a cold tap, that normally makes it let go. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  19:11:19  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I've only got 2 fingers on my right hand, does that help???

I have all fingers really.

Most snake bites at the worst will just feel like little pin pr1cks. Getting bitten by a larger corn can slightly sting, but in my experience it's the shock of the fact you've been bitten that makes you think it hurts. If you understand what I mean.

It's when you get tagged from a larger corn, and 20 mins later stick your fingers into a pack of salt n vinegar crisps.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 04/06/2009 19:11:51
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  19:17:52  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
snake bites don't hurt too badly, it is mostly the shock of the bite.

But there are a few thigns to do if you do get bitten:

1. DO NOT PULL AWAY! This could damage snakies teeth and possibly even break them off
2. Let them let go on thier own. If you try and take them off, they're more likly to bite you again. If you let them let go on thier own, usually shows they;ve calmed down a bit.
3. Don't put them straight back. This shows snakies that a bite = home. So for the snake that isn't too keen on being handled in the first place, this is the perfect way to teach it how to get put back!
4. After putting snakie back after a bit, make sure you thorouhgly clean and disinfect the bite. Snakes carry samolella and all sorts of nasties in their mouths (so would you if you ate whole dead uncooked mice). Run under water, good swap with tcp/surgical spirits/etc should do the job.
5. Keep an eye on the bite. Even the smalelst snake bite could get nasty if you're not careful. Keep a feel out for any numbness or odd tingling, as these are all signs of possibly septiciemia. If you're worried, go to A&E and get it checked.

Apart from that, and not to owrryyou with all that, just Need To Know stuff, you'll be fine :) I got bittn by my 4 ft milk, bled quitebadly but didn't hurt that much :)

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  21:03:40  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

It's when you get tagged from a larger corn, and 20 mins later stick your fingers into a pack of salt n vinegar crisps.

What if you dont like salt n vinegar crisps.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

471 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  21:32:55  Show Profile
It's mostly the shock, but might sting afterwards depending on size. And Kehllyr, not as bad as jamming lemon over the wound :D

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  18:13:27  Show Profile
i got bit by my young corn yesterday and didnt feel a thing till my finger started to feel hot and looked and i saw i had been bitten (which wasnt easy to see) so cleaned it right away but didnt even know for about 3hours,
iv been bitten by hamsters (pet ones) mice (also pets) budges, ferrets, rabbits, etc and in my own opinion give me a snake bit any day (no not the drink yuk)

4 corn girls, 3 corn boy, 3 girl corn x rats, 1 boy corn x rat, 3 royal girls, 4 royal boys, 2 king girls, 4 king boys 1 common boa girl
And to pick up.....
1 butter motley boy + 1 girl

NEW WEB SITE...
http://kat80.webs.com/

Go to Top of Page

Flatpack63
Hatchling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  15:03:30  Show Profile
Hamster bite hurts more.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  17:59:00  Show Profile
Snakes will ONLY bite as a last resort, they would rather run from you than bite you, yes Noodle kind of bit me once about a month ago.. didnt even realise he bit me, dint hurt at all

0.0.1 Amelanistic Corn 'Noodle'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon 'Bowser'
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 'Remo'

''The Devil is a loser and he's my B*tch!''
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000