New snake owner worries
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  15:22:17  Show Profile
Have had a new 3 year old corn snake for nearly 2 weeks, he didn't eat after leaving him for 7 days as we were told. The reason for this was that he was shedding, he has now shed & is extremely active looking all around the tank, seeming to head butt the tank & looking for an escape route. Somebody suggested to us that he may be hungry but when a mouse was offered he didn't show any interest. It is my daughters snake & she is very worried that there is something wrong can someone please give us some advice.

n/a
deleted

93 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  15:52:03  Show Profile
dont worry yet theres plenty of time to get him feeding ! are his temperatures ok and does he have a warm and cool end ? id leave him to settle with no handling for the next week or two then offer him food if he wont eat it straight away leave it in with him and itll probrably be gone by morning
most of all DONT PANIC !!!! lol !
hope this helps

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Mick
Yearling

United Kingdom
721 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  15:59:13  Show Profile
It is breeding season too, he might be looking to mate

1.0.0 Hypo Striped Corn (Mojo)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  18:03:42  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
heya and welcome
what's your set-up like? if it's not right they can stress and go off feeding? like Paul said, don't handle him till he's eating regularly again. pics are always good

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  18:32:04  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
My Alice is about 3 years old and she refused every feed for the 1st 5 weeks.

As has been said already, check everything about your setup, temps, hides, plants etc. He'll eat eventually, when he's hungry enough.

Also, try feeding different ways. Alice will only accept mice put in her viv. Some owners prefer to feed outside the viv so they don't associate the viv door opening with food.

Corn Snake Forum Members Map

Please add your details HERE
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  19:14:20  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Or risk eating substrate.

Also, how strong is your stomach??

I was talking to a friend earlier and they got a fub and basically squished the mousey around the inside.
When snakie went in, his instincts kicked in, and he finally decided to eat.
He had been without food for close to 2 months now.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  19:43:56  Show Profile
Thank you all for your advice the set up should be okay because the reptile shop we got it from set it up for us. I think my daughter is just being a concerned parent! Lol! Two weeks seem such a long time when you are waiting to cuddle your new baby, especially when I have a 1 year old one myself that loves to come out already & ate 3 fluffys very quickly!
Again thank you all.
Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  21:32:48  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Or risk eating substrate.

Good point Phil, I should mention that I put a large plastic container in the viv, with the mouse inside. No risk of swallowing any Aspen/Hemp.

Corn Snake Forum Members Map

Please add your details HERE
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  20:47:34  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by edgette1971

the set up should be okay because the reptile shop we got it from set it up for us.

don't bank on it!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  11:06:39  Show Profile
Just here to thank everyone for their help, the corn snake mentioned is mine, my Mum has posted on here for me. We rang the reptile shop we purchased him from, asking for advice and the woman described exactly what he was doing that day, and she said there's nothing to worry about, it's mating season so he won't eat for about three weeks at a time, and even though he hasn't eaten since we got him, because he's an adult in mating season I'm perfectly okay to get him out, thanks to everyone for their suggestions :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000