Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  11:06:19  Show Profile
Well in case any of you have worries about cleaning your snake out;
I was in my garden at half 9 cleaning out snake, In the lovely sun.
Storm enjoyed it in his rub in the sun. bless.

Sorry no pics, camera was dead.

1) completely gut your viv of furniture.

2) Get a bin bag, and use a dustpan/scoop whatever put all the old aspen in the black sack.

3) with your special reptile friendly sallmonella killer disinfectant, spray all the furinute, mat included.

4) i then dunk everything, without the viv or mat itself, in a big tub of warm water and scrub them. then leave to dry in the sun, i disinfect my mat then leave it, no rinsing as on mine says "Do not immerse in liquid"

5) I disinfect all of the inside of my viv, and scrub any stains on the glass with kitchen and leave to dry.

AFTER DRYING OF EVERYTHING....

6) Place the heatmat back in viv, make sure its stuck down, or if outside the viv, make sure its 1/3rd of it covered.

7)If you use exo-terra's, place the background in, with the heatmat wire going up the back through the wire-slots, making sure the gaps are filled! (I use kitchen roll with blu-tack wedged in there)

8) refil it with aspen about 1" but, i vary the depths in mine, as storm loves burrowing as it always gets messed up anyway

9) Ensure all furniture is dry. then place back in there and re-arrange. fill up the waterbowl.

10) now place inside, plug in the mat.. ENSURE ALL GAPS ARE FILLED AND EVERYTHING IS BACK

Then introduce snake, mine had a huge roam afterwards, it's good to watch. Even though snakes are nocturnal, i recomend doing this during the day (morning if possible) so the furniture, can dry in the sun.

Hope this helps you, and any tips welcome.

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  12:34:31  Show Profile
just 2 things
i would't leave my wood out side to dry just incase somthing decides to move in lol

the other thing is corns like to explor ,so when you put your stuff back in, change it around a bit.

good list hillzi and a good idea for a post
later

Edited by - n/a on 29/05/2009 15:05:25
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  14:59:06  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
i always like to vacuum mine once it has been emptied with a dustpan,just in case theres any crawly's

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  16:48:08  Show Profile
Whoops! I also vacuum out the corners where aspen and bits get stuck!!

thanks dilly. Yeah I give it a re-arrange every few days, only leave it when he's in shed but put something in there to help him, I got a bit of wood, i left just slightly rough to help him.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  20:18:00  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address
have literally just had to blitz me lil ones faun as kids were going off to nans, all i did was take out all furniture inc waterbowl, gave that a scrub, chucked moss n aspen , rinsed faun in warm water so rid of all dust etc, wiped dry with kitchen roll, sprayed with Beaclean replaced clean layer of aspen but sprinkled on a handful or so of old aspen so lil ones scent is still there and replaced moss. Did attempt to disinfect coconuts but thought better of it after wiping over first n the colour coming off.. wiped down decor and replaced... meanwhile lil one is in feed tub digesting a fat pinky.. can see a slight blue of the eyes so guessing it could poss be coming up to shedding time.????? have had lil one 3 weeks today.. yay..

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000