New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cheekygit
Egg

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2009 :  23:06:20  Show Profile

Above is a pic of a basic viv i have.... until recently i had a 3to4 month old corn in a plastic box, aprox 18"x12"x8" with a 7x11 heatmat at one end, but after gettin a duel digital thermometer and finding out the temps were reachin 108f <something which the shop told me was impossible, till i proved them wrong> i added a dimmer thermostat and still found the temps hard to control...
now for the question...
i am using the dimmer thermostst with a red heat buld as you can see and the prob is alongside a stick on thermometer which reads ambient temp of 80f, i also have 2 probes from the duel digi thermometer in the viv too, one on the substrate under the lamp reading 86 to 87.5f and 1 at the cold side readin 70 to 71.5f, also 1 hide under the lamp and another long bark hide towards the colder end... i know the snake gets its heat thro its belly for digestion, but the floor (substrate) does not feel very warm...does all the above sound ok to keep the snake healthy, happy and wise? :) he eats ok when hes fed...ps the dimmer stat is set at 82f 28c resulting i nthe above readings....phew, long winded i know

,Same snake 2yrs apart :)

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2009 :  23:31:35  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
to start with ignor what it says on the stat and go by your digi thermometer.place the warm end hide directly under the lamp and put the temp probe in the hide to as that is where the snake will be spending most of it's time and i have that between 85-88.You could have the stat probe just outside the hide but still under the lamp on the substrate.Great looking vviv too.

Go to Top of Page

cheekygit
Egg

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2009 :  23:31:02  Show Profile
ok lee...took onboard what you said and moved the temp probe n put it under the hide at hot end... but the way i have it set up, movin the stat probe aint easy now...but its monitoring ambient temp and thats still fine....thanx for ya reply anyway :)

,Same snake 2yrs apart :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000