New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  20:34:44  Show Profile
ok ive finnished this off now
it's bit's and bobs i got from web sites to make this guide if your lucky some one will make it a sticky

please feel free to add and so on, after all it's here to help others

mites
ok this how to prevent them

1) Checking over any new snakes you bring into the collection very carefully, and checking the source.
2) Making sure you don't handle snakes at shops or friends houses unless you are sure they don't have mites, as they can be transferred this way.
3) Microwave or freeze the substrate you use. They can come in on the substrate but will die in the microwave or freezer.
4) If you add any decor, pour boiling water over it first. Even if you bought it from a shop, but especially if you take it from outside
this is what a mite looks like

You can tell if your snake has mites in a couple of ways. Mites are very small brown or black bugs that you can sometimes see on the snake or in the cage. Another way to tell is if your snake is suddenly soaking in its water dish all the time. Mites irritate the snake's skin under the scales so soaking in water helps to relieve that a little. If you're unsure whether or not your snake has mites, replace the bedding with paper towel and remove all decorations. Sometimes you'll be able to see small bugs on the paper towel within a few hours.

Another way to check for mites is to hold your snake and let it crawl through your hands. If you see anything moving or a spot on your snake that looks like a pile of pepper (Mites love to gather in the same spot) than your snakes has mites. If do not see anything on your snake, after handling him look very closely at your hands to see if there are any small black dots moving on your hands, if so your snake has mites

to get rid of them

Frontline is a powerful mite killer and is excellent to clean the viv and surrounding areas, this will kill any roaming mites and most eggs.. it will also provide a residue to help afterwards, however, make sure there is no fumey smell remaining before a snake is placed back in the viv. I personally would recommend only using frontline directly on your snake in a diluted form, as much as 50% if your the paranoid type, but not all people feel this is necessary. One method of applying it is to apply to a cloth and let the snake slither through it in your hand from head to tail, minding that none goes near the eyes or mouth. Also its best to remove the water bowl for a while after application in case the snake goes in the bowl and then drinks some water.

water bowls MUST be removed following treatment, frontline is toxic.. if the snake passed through the water, and later drinks it. it may die in agony

what don't work

Oil has been used which is smeared over with a cloth or the snake is bathed in it to starve the mites of air making them let go, or climb out of the scale their under. Seems a slightly messy idea, and would not rid your mite problem alone

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  21:20:03  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
some good advice there dilly,i would just like to add that you would need to treat decor from outside by soaking in 10% bleach solution or baking for around a hour as pouring boiling water wont do the job,think this could do with being made a sticky with tips that mite victims can add too

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  23:58:30  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
dilly i've made your other post on mites sticky, i've also posted some advice that i think should be added along with lee's posted above

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2009 :  08:54:18  Show Profile
cool buddy
it might help some one out

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly