New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2009 :  12:48:23  Show Profile
Hi there,

I have had my cornsnake for about 9 months, having rehomed him from a friend who had inherited him from a relative and didnt want him.

He is 10 years old and had spent at least 9 of them in a vivarium that was far too small, the first thing i did was to get him a bigger one (3' x 2' x 2'). I also made him a climbing frame and gave him some plants and different hides.
I was warned that initially he may be unnerved by all the extra space and may spend a lot of time hiding, which he did. But he also spent a lot of time stretching out and exploring his new environment. It took him a few months to discover the climbing frame, but when he did he used it a lot, especially when he was pre-shed/shedding.
what has puzzled me is that for the last few months he has been hiding all the time. the only time he has emerged has been when he has been shedding, and then hes gone straight back again. i havent been able to handle him, as if he is hiding i dont like to disturb him. normally when he is more active, if i open the vivarium he will come out himself and be happy to explore/be handled.

his appetite isnt effected by the lessened activity, he still has a mouse a week (that was what my friend told me to feed him, does that sound like too much/too little?).

is this lack of activity normal? i have never had a snake before so i really dont know. i wanted to check as i was concerned that it might be a sign that something is wrong.
has anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

thanks, emma

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  17:11:42  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
heya and welcome
a well fed corn has no real reason to be active, what does he weigh? how big (weight or length )are the mice that you're feeding him? eg. the same size mouse some people might call medium, some might call large. and is he definitely a 'he'? if so he could be fed an appropriately sized meal fortnightly.
also what are your temps like, warm end and cold end? how many hides does he have and where are they placed?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000