To shed or not to shed?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  21:02:02  Show Profile
Last week my corn snake Ed became very grumpy and struck a lot at me which is very unusual. he ate his mouse, then went into a very reclusive state. i noticed his eyes were cloudy and thought he was going to shed. this is my first snake and his first shed with me. it has now been a week and although he is moving around a bit more he has not shed, his skin looks normal-ish and he still has cloudy eyes. i am worried because i cannot even remove him from his viv as he strikes at me. help?!!!

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  21:30:25  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
usually the eyes go cloudy for a few days, then clear again and usually within a week they've shed. how long have his eyes been cloudy and are they both as cloudy as each other? don't handle him while he can't see.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  21:45:06  Show Profile
his eyes have been cloudy for 5 days now
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  21:46:27  Show Profile
...and theyre both about the same in cloudyness. he is slightly more active today than he has been, but no sign of skin shedding
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  21:59:58  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
if both eyes look the same that would usually rule out anything sinister, i'd just sit and wait it out for another week. you could put a damp hide in for him for a few days, that usually helps them shed. is eveything else in your set-up as per the caresheet? eg temps, heating equipment, hides, etc

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  22:07:14  Show Profile

yeah, he has a hide on his heat mat which is kept between 26 and 30 degrees, and some bark he can hide under on the opposite side which is kept between 20 and 24 degrees, this side has his water bowl there. he used to prefer the cooler side for some reason, but since he's been like this he's in his heat mat hide a lot. i will see how he goes. its awful seeing him look so miserable and i cant get him out1
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  22:28:38  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
if his eyes are cloudy then he can't see so best not to try handling him as he'll stress about it and, like you've mentioned already, you could get tagged!

got any pics? it is unusual for their eyes to stay cloudy for that long.......

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  22:39:16  Show Profile
Will take a photo tomorrow and put it on, thats if he comes out of his hide! thanx
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  15:33:22  Show Profile
Checked Ed today, his eyes are back to normal and he's a bit brighter. do you think that means he will shed soon?
Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  16:53:24  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
Yeh, give it a few days or so and he'll shed ^^

Mine went very pale 2 days ago, he's now to his usual colour; so I'd expect him to shed in the next few days :)

1.1.0 Corn Snake - 'Jasper' & 'Storm'
0.0.1 Curly Hair Tarantula - 'Fluffy'
1.0.0 Border Collie - 'Chance'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - 'Alfie'
0.1.0 Tortoise - 'Lightning'
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - 'Charlie'

RIP Eddie :'(
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  21:46:05  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
that sounds more like it, he should shed soon, usually within a week

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  20:12:02  Show Profile
hehey! he has shed a little. shed tail end and a few inches more but still has the rest of his skin which is about another 3 feet to go. he's really active so hopefully he will manage to get it off on his own.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  21:30:02  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
if he's having problems try putting a damp hide in for him

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  20:13:13  Show Profile
Yey...he shed at the end of last week. aww our first shed together.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000