Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  22:03:44  Show Profile
Hey,

I'm getting quite worried about Ramesses for a number of reasons...

1. He generally seems very unhappy with me, skittish and nervous constantly
2. His shedding has been very bad
3. He regurgetated his mice last night, this compounds his constant feeding problems, so many missed feeds ad he won't feed when im in the room, or anywhere near...

Basically all this adds up to me thinking that maybe he might need a more experienced hand that he can thrive with, I don't know tho... I love him very much and the last thing I want is for him to be unhappy, unhealthy or even die...

Just for clarification:
Temps range from about 83-85 at the warm end of his faun down to about 75-78 at the cold end, he has 2 hides (1 at hot end and 1 at cold) and I change his water every day (filtered through a filter)

Should I persevere? Move him to a better home? or something else?

Any advice would be appreciated...

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  22:34:28  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
what's your set-up like Jono? any pics?
ok i'll deal with things one by one.....

1. handling. either regular short handling sessions OR just leave him alone for a month or so. there's no rule set in stone that works. the first option is getting the snake used to being handled so it learns you're not a threat. the second option with minimal interaction, just changing water, spot checking for poop, feeding, also teaches the snake that you're not a threat. it's a case of finding out which one works for the individual.

2. bad shed. this can be an indicator that something in your set-up isn't right, or it could just be a bad shed. providing he's ok at the moment, with no stuck shed left on him, as soon as you notice he's in blue get a damp hide in there for him to use. if he still has a bad shed then next time he's in blue take out his usual hides and provide 2 damp hides, one at either end so he has to use one or other of them.

3. regurge. this is usually due to incorrect temps or handling too soon after feeding. i'm not sure if your temps seem a little low at 83-85*F at the hot end, what's that in *C?

keep persevering, we'll try to help you as much as we can

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  00:12:57  Show Profile
i'll upload some pics tomorrow...
I've been handling him almost every day (apart from 2-3 days after he has been fed) so I might try the minimal interaction thing for a bit...
He still has a tiny bit but i've been getting it off gradually by giving him a 10 minute bath and then getting it off with a damp cloth... still have a bit more to go tho...
i think the temp works out to about 28-29*C...
Next week i'm going to take him to the vet to see if they can check him over, i think my closest one is in Maidstone (according to the vets sticky...)
I can't feed him for about 10 days or so now i believe...

Will get those pics tomorrow...

thanks
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  13:57:54  Show Profile
Hey GP... just to update with a pic of his setup...

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  13:57:54  Show Profile
Hey GP... just to update with a pic of his setup...

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  14:46:13  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I think he might just be shy Jono, some Corns are like that and you just need to bring him out of his shell a bit.

The only thing I would worry about is the regurge, but hopefully if it's a one off then it's nothing to worry about. Just keep trying. You are doing great.

Maybe add a few toilet roll tubes to make the viv more secluded might help

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  14:46:13  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I think he might just be shy Jono, some Corns are like that and you just need to bring him out of his shell a bit.

The only thing I would worry about is the regurge, but hopefully if it's a one off then it's nothing to worry about. Just keep trying. You are doing great.

Maybe add a few toilet roll tubes to make the viv more secluded might help

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  15:32:06  Show Profile
ok, i'll do that... thanks
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  15:32:06  Show Profile
ok, i'll do that... thanks
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  15:38:32  Show Profile
ok, the setup now looks like this...

Hoep he feels more secure...
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  15:38:32  Show Profile
ok, the setup now looks like this...

Hoep he feels more secure...
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  21:02:28  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
your set up looks fine, the only other thing i'd add is covering up 3 sides of the viv so he can't see the big wide world! temps sound about right too which is good. you're also right in giving Ramesses about 10 days before feeding again, this gives the gut time to recover and get back to normal ready to digest the next meal. for a single regurge i wouldn't rush him to the vets, although if it happens again it might be worth getting it investigated.
i'd leave him to settle on his own till the next feed. (although i know it's easy to say when you've got another nake to play with) keep smiling hun

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  22:45:45  Show Profile
yeah ive got the 10 day break marked down in his feeding/shedding record so i won't forget and The Baron is always out n about so I'll leave Ramesses alone for a while... any suggestions on what i could use to cover the other sides?
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  01:11:58  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
You can use anything to cover the sides.
Tinfoil, aquarium backgrounds, wallpaper.
Anything that you can easily cut to size, and blu-tack on the outside will do it.

But don't use old game boards, snakes'n'ladders background can be unnerving for them.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000