New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  21:03:11  Show Profile
Hi there,

Was wandering if any one had ever come across a snake without a tongue?

Our friends corn went missing in October and turned up Saturday outside his front door. He was having scaffolding put up when his housemate discovered her.

He brought her straight round to ours as we have a few reptiles and have spare viv's etc and have a bit more experience than him.

She looked really healthy, still strong and not dehydrated at all but had a bit of dirt on her and loads around her mouth to a point where she couldn't fully close it.

We put her outside for a bit for warmth whilst we sorted a viv out for her. She was fine when we cleaned her off but the dirt was stuck inside her mouth. I gave her reiki whilst she let my partner gently remove the bits of dirt from her mouth. Mainly dirt but a couple of small bits that looked a bit puss-y. Still no tongue though. No air tasting or anything.

On Sunday we gave her a warm calci bath that she was fine in and had a good drink from. Offered her food but no interest. Still no tongue.

Monday we gave her a nutro-bol bath, yet more drinking but quite happy to sit in it for a while. The right side of her mouth was open a little but she let us check and remove the rest of the dirt. No sign of any tongue :S

Got her booked into the vets but was wandering if anyone had come across this before or have any ideas of what we can do in the mean time? I've called round a couple of vets and reptile sancturies but no one can tell me anything.

Really worried about her.

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  21:38:11  Show Profile
I have never head of a snake with no tounge, I would of thought it is more likly that she has a blockage which is stopping her from flicking it out.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  22:03:30  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
heya and welcome
i have heard of it, quite often they have to be assist or even force fed for life as they can't smell/taste the prey item so don't recognise the mouse dangling in front of them as food.
vet check is definitely in order though.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  01:20:35  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
That's a nice lucky snake, It's been a FREEZING winter.
He's obviously found somewhere to curl up that must've been fairly warm as well, I wouldn't of thought a Corn would've been able to hibernate very successfully in our cliamte.

Keep us updated on snakies progress.

I mentioned this to a mate, and he said "If the snake is male, it stands a chance of being able to still find it's own prey by the use of it's Jacobsons Organ"

He gave me a laymans re-phrase.

"they have a thingy in their head that they use that helps detect smells given off by other snakes, it's more sharper in male snakes becuase they use that to help find a mate"

I still wasn't completely sure, so I wiki'd it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vomeronasal_organ

screenie, highlighting certain area:

Although it says the snakes tongue touches it, if it's still intact then it stands a chance of finding food, although i've been told it may miss a few times if it strikes because it can't tell exactly where the food is.

*/quick edit*

After more in depth reading, it also explains WHY snakes have a forked tongue, it's because they have 2 openings to the organ, and each fork goes into a different opening.

Well, i've learned two new things today.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 09/04/2009 01:23:38
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  10:04:28  Show Profile
Thanks guys :)

I too have been looking up snakes anatomy and found out the same about the organ. Unfortunately though she's a girl. Not looking good.

We have been able to have a good look in her mouth, she's been very calm letting us do this, I think she knows we're trying to help.

Can't see any tongue what so ever, although can see what looks like an opening where her tongue would come out. it opens and closes just as I imagine it would do when she's trying to taste the air.

How would you assist/force feed a snake?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  10:04:28  Show Profile
Thanks guys :)

I too have been looking up snakes anatomy and found out the same about the organ. Unfortunately though she's a girl. Not looking good.

We have been able to have a good look in her mouth, she's been very calm letting us do this, I think she knows we're trying to help.

Can't see any tongue what so ever, although can see what looks like an opening where her tongue would come out. it opens and closes just as I imagine it would do when she's trying to taste the air.

How would you assist/force feed a snake?
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  10:35:12  Show Profile
They also have the two forks so that they can determine which direction the smell/taste is coming from

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  10:35:12  Show Profile
They also have the two forks so that they can determine which direction the smell/taste is coming from

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  11:27:46  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

"If the snake is male, it stands a chance of being able to still find it's own prey by the use of it's Jacobsons Organ"

Correct me if im wrong but dont males and female have a jacobson organ?

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  11:27:46  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
quote:

"If the snake is male, it stands a chance of being able to still find it's own prey by the use of it's Jacobsons Organ"

Correct me if im wrong but dont males and female have a jacobson organ?

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  11:43:05  Show Profile
I think Kehhlyr was saying that it works better in males. (but im not sure that it does)

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  11:43:05  Show Profile
I think Kehhlyr was saying that it works better in males. (but im not sure that it does)

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  11:48:01  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
off topic i know but how do you take screen shots?

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  11:48:01  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  12:05:57  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Apparently it is a bit sharper, due to males also having to detect females that are releasing mating pheromones. Whether or not that's accurate, I don't know.

quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

Go to general posts, I'll say it there, so as not to clog this thgread.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  12:05:57  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:

Apparently it is a bit sharper, due to males also having to detect females that are releasing mating pheromones. Whether or not that's accurate, I don't know.

quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

Go to general posts, I'll say it there, so as not to clog this thgread.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  20:56:40  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:

quote:

yup that's right

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  12:03:11  Show Profile
So..... How do you force feed a snake..?
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  12:19:31  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
there's a fine line between force feeding and assist feeding........ the main difference being is that assist feeding you put the prey item in the snake's mouth, the snake realises it's food and does the rest itself, force feeding you're effectively pushing the prey item down the snake's throat and massaging it down it's neck.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000