Found missing corn snake! help!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  17:57:31  Show Profile
We lost our corn snake in May/June last year. We've just found him after 10 months in the back garden and as we expected, he's not in very good shape. He was very cold and extremely thin. We've put him in a viv with a heat mat and got some food out ready for him. We've not handled him as we expect him to be wild now and he's very scared.

At the moment we've done all we can but is there any advice anyone can give me on what else we can do? I'm very concerned about him because of the length of time he's been missing. Apart from what I've already mentioned he looks ok, I haven't spotted any injuries or anything like that but this is the first time he's been missing since we've had him (this is our first snake too!) and other than what we've done already we're not sure what else we can do?

Any help or advice anyone can give will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you.

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  18:14:10  Show Profile
Just keep him in an appropriate setup and give him a few days to settle in and then feed him... I'd probably think about a cheeky trip to the vet as well, just to check that he is free of parasites etc...
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  18:14:42  Show Profile
forgot to say congrats on finding the little guy!!
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  18:16:02  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I think the first thing I would do is check that he's hydrated. Water might have been hard to come by whilst being out and about, so make sure he has plenty of water available and that he's drinking it.

Apart from that you are doing fine. Try to feed him, but not too much at first. His weight should build up in time, so I would probably feed once every 4-5 days for the next few months, then go back to weekly once you think he's a good weight again.

Leave him for at least a week to get over the shock of being back in the viv and then try handling. If he's gone a bit wild regular handling is needed to tame him down again.

The rest is just looking out for things. He could've picked up diseases or parasites whilst being out, so be aware of that and look out for any signs. Monitor his pooing, shedding and eating for at least a few months and watch for problems. Seek advice on here if your not sure of anything and we'll advise best we can.

Good job you found him really, bet you are happy to have him back?

Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  18:39:02  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
Everything has been said regarding what's best to do so I'll just congratulate you on finding him. It's amazing that he turned up so locally after 10 months!!!! And that he survived our winter!

I hope he's ok and he recovers from his ordeal soon.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  18:45:21  Show Profile
Thank you very much for all the advice! I am delighted that he's come back alive but I'm just worried he isn't going to survive now! But we'll stick to everything you have all said. We tried feeding him but he won't take food and I haven't seen him drink yet though he's got plenty of water. I think it's just from shock though so I'll try again over the next few days.

Thanks once again & I'll keep you updated on what happens :)
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  19:12:52  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
hi megz,how old is he and what sort of size?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  19:33:42  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
congrats on the find
like Kaz said hydration is important, you could try adding some ReptoBoost to his water bowl. it's electrolytes, probiotic and appetite stimulant and can be absorbed through the skin (if he decides to sit in his water bowl) as well as by drinking.
I'd let him settle for 5 days before offering a small meal then continue to feed every 5 days if he takes it. if you have a good exotics vet a quick check over wouldn't hurt but I'd probably delay treating for parasites until he's feeding regularly again.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

43 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  23:49:30  Show Profile
Congrats on the find...
Hope he's gonna be ok, im stunned it's got through the winter it been a cold one.
Good luck...

0.1.0 Amel Slinky
1.0.0 Normal Motley Charlie
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  17:53:12  Show Profile
mine was dump outside by the previous owner it was ice cold after only a short time.I have had it now for two weeks and it does not come out apart from feeding then disappears again.i have not been able to coax it out to handle it yet but it is fine.ten months is a very long time in the cold so i would say it found somewhere to warm up.maybe snakes are alot more hardy than we like to think.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  23:08:02  Show Profile
Congrats on finding him after such a long time. How is he doing now? Hope he's picked up.

<:3O~~Sue~~

“Be civil to all;
sociable to many;
familiar with few;
friend to one;
enemy to none.
Benjamin Franklin”

0.0.1 Amel Motley Corn - Spud
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier - Jack
0.1.0 Chihuahua - Bijou
0.0.1 Chilean Rose Tarantula - Fang
2.6.0 LaPerm cats - Ichs, Grey, Sabi, Jonti, Emily, Nariko, Bubbles, Patches