ADVICE NEEDED ASAP!! Please
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  08:22:27  Show Profile
Right i have a very lovely crimson corn snake called Cassey ,she came from a lovely lady off RFUK , she was feeding fine when she had her and i have kept to the same routine as much as i can when i feed her ,she fed for 2 weeks in a row no problems ,then she shed but some remained so i put a moss box in with her,which helped remove the rest , she didn't feed that week and hasn't since 27th feb .I have tried all the things on the sticky thread on RFUK apart from force feeding as i am not confirdent in doing that .I spoken to her breeder/old owner and done everything she told me ,she don't look thin but she not eating so will get thin soon .Temp hot end 85/86 cold is 71/73 (flurtuates between those temps).has a exo terra small hide ,moss box, water bowl and toilet roll ,she in a 9 litre rub .Heat mat,mat stat and digital temp .

I have three things i can do now
1) give her back to breeder/ owner,
2) go to vets ask them if they will force feed her (have been for advice he said they can go months with out eating ok not convinced on that at all).
3) re home her to someone who know how to get her to eat .

ANY ADVICE would help words of wisedom .

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  09:03:34  Show Profile
they can go for a couple of months without eating..
apparently its the time of year when snakies stop eating and start trying to find a mate so i wouldnt worry about it too much, just keep an eye on her weight and keep trying to feed her...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  09:30:47  Show Profile
Hi, that is not a long time to go without food, she will be ok for a while.

How old is she? Also have her eye caps cleared ok from the shed?

How often are you offering her food?

Rat World, Frozen Rats/Multis/Gerbils/Mice

T.0845 250 0020

2.3.0. Royals.1.2.0 Corns. RIP Sadie

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  10:05:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Jono2411

they can go for a couple of months without eating..
apparently its the time of year when snakies stop eating and start trying to find a mate so i wouldnt worry about it too much, just keep an eye on her weight and keep trying to feed her...

She lost weight was about 15 to 18 g and now only 13g, she only august 08,i been trying every weekend and even defrosting a pinkie when ever she out and about .
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  10:07:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

Hi, that is not a long time to go without food, she will be ok for a while.

How old is she? Also have her eye caps cleared ok from the shed?

How often are you offering her food?

She was born august 08 and her shed was fine until it got to her tail which has now come off nicely ,i offer food one a week or if i see her out and about her tub .She only on pinkies so don't take much to defrost one.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

119 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  10:31:07  Show Profile
My august 08 girl wouldn't eat when i first got her so what i was told to do was but her in a paperbag with a warm defrosted pinkie. Fold over the top of the paperbag, staple/paper clip it up(not much so theres still air holes & leave it in the vivarium over night so its half on heatmat, half off heatmat. Then check in the morning to see if the pinkie is gone.

Also i've heard if you tap the pinkie on the end of their nose a little it causes them to strike out at it & want to eat it.

With the paperbag thing i mentioned it only took my snake around 3 hours to eat(maybe less) so you could leave your snake in for a while then lift the bag up to the light and see if you can see the pinkies shadow underneath, but be very gentle if the snake gets thrown around in the bag it might get stressed & if it has eaten it could be sick. Imagine eating something twice the size of your head then going on a rollercoaster lol.

Hope this helps & your snakie starts eating again. Good luck.

1.0 Bearded Dragon - Loki
0.1 Corn Snake - Smoo
1.1 Mexican Black King Snakes - Nameless
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  14:17:07  Show Profile
i had a very young corn, 4months go 3weeks without food, dont worry they are designed to go without food, just check weight etc and keep offering

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  19:17:32  Show Profile
Yup can't say much else than whats been said already.

What really gets my males going is the smell of fresh mouse blood.. yum.. and occasionally i cut the ends of my mices noses and they go MAD
you can try these options;
1) Braining the mouse (spliting the skull to expell the yummy smell of brains!) and leave the snakie in a dark place in a rub alone with the mouse.

2) Like I said bleed the mouses nose and tap the snakes nose with it. basically forcing it to taste the mouse and annoying it to strike.

3) Perceverence. should just been the time of year as my males are roaming but still got their appetite.
4) try a chick. she might enjoy a variety and try feed her when it gets a bit darker as they are nocturnel feeders naturally.
HTH and hope she feeds soon!
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  22:11:02  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Someone on here had a problematic corn with feeding AGES ago.
They ended up rubbing the mouse (can't remember if it was pinky or not) on pet rabbits fur.
Cornsnake took the feed then.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  22:14:59  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by TEAB

She lost weight was about 15 to 18 g and now only 13g, she only august 08,i been trying every weekend and even defrosting a pinkie when ever she out and about .

that seems very light to me,my august 08 weighs 50 grams and is on 2 fuzzys a week,she might just be a fatty and yours is normal,some will let us know soon.

Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  23:07:24  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
honestly, i know people who've had corns younger than yours who have gone without eating for like 5 months. seriously :)

Just keep an eye on weights, but force feeding is only a LAST resrort. It is very traumatic and damaging to the snake, and may discourage it from feeding! And you reaaally don't want that

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2009 :  14:27:32  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
whats your set-up like? and in particulr, size? if it's too big she'll feel insecure and the first thing she'll do is go off her food.

one of my yearlings is a shy feeder, i put her in a small tub with the mouse and cover her over with a towel and leave her for half an hour.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2009 :  14:46:33  Show Profile
Ramesses is a shy feeder as well, i have to leave him with the mice in a RUB for about 20 mins when he needs to feed...
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2009 :  17:00:22  Show Profile
Mine don't care. They wolf the mice down. fatties.
Although my Anery is like a monster balboa takes his time

Just keep trying her.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2009 :  11:23:31  Show Profile
Right she gone to my friend who knows a lot more about none feeders than me ,she hopefully going to get her to eat ,then once eating i will get her back ,she in a rub thats the same as she was in before i got her moss hide ,dry hide, water everything is the same ,only thing is thats changed was moving her nothing else .Cassey eat for 2 weeks in cricket tub covered up in dark for 3 hrs and eat no problem ,she had a bad shed some was retained on her side and she stopped eating .( shed was removed straight away with a damp cloth no problem.
Thank you for replies ,hopefully my friend will get her to eat.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2009 :  13:03:14  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Keep us posted on updates, hopefully you'll have her back soon.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000