Ember keeps missing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

117 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  19:47:44  Show Profile
Ember keeps missing his luch at least once every feed. Im getting worried now cos this morning he somehow hit the mouse but then griped his tail and started eating it. I had to pull him off his tail. After that he ate it well. Is there a reason for him to miss his food recently?

1 Royal Python: Draco
1 Corn Snake: Ember

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  19:52:44  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Do you heat the mouse up?

I always super heat the head.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

117 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  19:54:51  Show Profile
Yea its always heated up. It just really shocked me that he went for his own tail!

1 Royal Python: Draco
1 Corn Snake: Ember
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  20:05:42  Show Profile
My corn has bitten itself a few times during feeding, never broken the skin though.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  20:06:28  Show Profile
He might've gone into a mild frenzy. or mightv'e been half asleep if you fed him this morning.

Try lining the head/rear of the mouse with Ember's mouth if you feed him in a RUB and should work.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2009 :  18:21:25  Show Profile
How old is your snake, does there seem to be anything wrong with it's eyes? Just thinking that perhaps if it has poor vision and relying on smell/taste it may not be as accurate at striking. Do you allow a little bit of handling before feeding? It could be that the snake isn't with it as such but I wouldn't have thought that would the reason every time.
If it's young it may still be getting the hang of striking. If you hold the rear of the mouse in tweezers a little higher up I would have thought it was less likely to get it's own tail as well for future feeding.
When the snake is active in the viv put your finger to the glass in front of it and see if it reacts to test it's vision.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000