Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Just a few questions.. and a few new piccies :)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  19:51:56  Show Profile
Hello :)
basically jaffa still hasnt shed.... we've had him since november or october time...
his colour is dulled a little but nothing much, and eyes still bright and cheerful.
hes perfectly fine, very active, feeding well, and loves a cuddle... but just dont know how often they are meant to shed so thought i'd check.

Also....
my partner, Giles is somewhat of a scardey cat. Orginally he was the noe that wanted a snake, but actually ive become rather attached to jaff and giles is scared of him. lol.
he wont hold him, flinches anytime jaff head towards him.... how can he overcome this.
needless to say Jaffa doesnt really like him as hes very nervous and flinchy and i supppose jaffa doesnt feel safe... whereas with me he snuggles up with me in my jumper pocket. lol.

any ideas would be fab :)

3rdly.. look at my new banner.. thats jaffa today :)

1.0.0 Sunglow (Amel) Cornsnake- jaffa
1.0.0 Chocolate Labrador- Wispa
0.2.0 Cats- Tia and Treacle
1.0.0 Toddler- Finley

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  20:03:44  Show Profile
his colour has dulled a hell of a lot actually... i hadnt realised what id written. lol. its gone from bright orange and almost red to kinda light dull orange.. not as light as my banner shows, that is just my camera and quality of image but still lighter than he used to be.

1.0.0 Toddler- Finley
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

33 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  20:36:13  Show Profile
not really sure about the shedding, but as for your partner being scared of snakes, i know how he feels, as i used to be scared of snakes. my girlfriend used to tell me she always wanted a snake and when a reptile shop opened near us we went along to have a look an decided is was time, so i did most of the research on corn snakes, before she bought one. when we decided that we had a good amount of knowlegde on them, we set off for the reptile shop. she was holding them to try and decide which one she wanted and the girl in the shop handed me a snake, my girlfriend said i went pale and my face dropped, but after a while i felt comfortable with it, and decided that was the one we should get, but she had her heart set on another one, so in the end got 2

i felt that i was scared of the unknown (so to speak). the research helped me overcome my fear alot and so did being handed the snake in the shop.

i now love snakes and would love to get more

so i guess if he doesnt really know much about them, try and get him to find out more and hopefully he will realise there is nothing to fear. knowing that a corn snake bite didnt hurt that much also helped

hope this helps
sorry its so long lol
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

119 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  09:21:58  Show Profile
On the side of the box my snake was deliverd in it said do not crush, contains HARMLESS reptiles :) i think the says it all. Im not sure how often they shed but it sounds like Jaffa is nearly ready, have you got anything for him to rub him self on to break the skin so he can start shedding? and does he have a bath in his vivarium? If he has these things you will have to wait for a more experianced owner to comment.

1.0 Bearded Dragon - Loki
0.1 Corn Snake - Smoo
1.1 Mexican Black King Snakes - Nameless
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  09:55:15  Show Profile
depends on the snake really, how much they grow of one feed. Mine shed every 4-5 weeks considering they get 2 pinkies each a week.
Jaffa lol I can see why you named him that good name great snake :)
Mine are due shed anytime soon as they havent had one for a while...
He may turn out a carolina, judgind by the colour turn.

HTH

Edited by - hillzi on 14/03/2009 09:55:54
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

33 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  10:41:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

depends on the snake really, how much they grow of one feed. Mine shed every 4-5 weeks considering they get 2 pinkies each a week.
Jaffa lol I can see why you named him that good name great snake :)
Mine are due shed anytime soon as they havent had one for a while...
He may turn out a carolina, judgind by the colour turn.

HTH

how would you know they are due to shed?? you cant possibley say that untill they go into the blue phase, it depends on how much they grow, and as they get older they shed less frequently

he may turn out carolina? whats that about? they are what they are from birth, they cant change morph! thats just ridiculous!

as for your pic, i think thats cruel the way you are holdin your snake, it should be supported! how would you like to be grabbed by your leg and held upside down, im sure you wouldnt feel comfortable!

Edited by - n/a on 14/03/2009 11:59:32
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  13:56:53  Show Profile
i thought you meant me then. lol. i was thinking... jaff is supported... lol.
yea he has branches and he does have a bath in his water bowl eery so often...
he's on a small mouse once a week, and has a distinct bulge afterwards.
i'll give him a bit longer as he has gone dull and i presume hes saving himself for a big shed, but other than branches is there anything else i can put in to encourage him??
hes about 2 foot long (ish) at the moment... and hasnt grown that much since purchase so im guessing it becuase he hasnt grown too much that he hasnt shed. lol.
oh well, jaff takes him time about things!!

1.0.0 Toddler- Finley
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  17:47:18  Show Profile
quote:

how would you know they are due to shed?? you cant possibley say that untill they go into the blue phase, it depends on how much they grow, and as they get older they shed less frequently

he may turn out carolina? whats that about? they are what they are from birth, they cant change morph! thats just ridiculous!

as for your pic, i think thats cruel the way you are holdin your snake, it should be supported! how would you like to be grabbed by your leg and held upside down, im sure you wouldnt feel comfortable!

they shed on a cycle every 3-4 weeks. Yes babies are born with really funky colours you can't really determine morphs from when they hatch instantly as he colours dim and get darker. Well only good pic i could get as i haven't got a digicam. but the snake actually wriggled under my hand....
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  17:56:49  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mickey22

Whoah! since when did this place turn into RFUK?

I think he meant, that hatchlings generally shed every 4-6 weeks (slowing as they get older), so you can generally time their sheds.

The colour of corns changes drastically when they reach adult-hood, but no, you're right they can't change morphs

And you can't see where he has hold of the snake, it might only look like it's near the base of the tail. I'm not saying you should hold them like that all the time, but the snake obviously wriggled into that position as he was taking the pic - there was no need to personally attack him without knowing the full facts.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  17:59:54  Show Profile
yeah thanks neil.
I didnt say they changed morphs what I meant was; They become clearer as colours change

Edited by - hillzi on 14/03/2009 18:05:04
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  18:58:32  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Deary me.

I guess it depends if you usually keep a diary.
Diaries are amazing when it comes to keeping snakes. They allow you to predict when your snake may be due a shed (mine are like clockwork) and their average growth etc.
Although holding a snake by the tip of the tail may look cruel I see snakes hanging off branches, rocks, vivs, people with their tail tip all the time. Holding a snake by the tail is a great way to assess its condition as if it can climb its way back up it means its nice and healthy.
Corn snakes can change in colour a lot as they grow, for example my snow corn just erupted in yellows. Its quite difficult to tell whether a "normal" corn is a carolina, okeetee etc when they are hatchlings as usually the colours don't come out until they are older.

Apologies this post went completely off topic Aly-Jaffa.
My partner won't hold my snakes either although he doesn't mind them so much. Maybe try getting him to stroke them first?
As for the shedding, don't worry about it too much. If hes happy, healthy and eating he will shed in his own time ^^

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  19:12:11  Show Profile
the funny thing is, not at you Ell but mickey;
I wasn't holding him by the tail tip. He's about 13" and he has about 2" of body he's hanging with.
Beleive me mickey you think i'd hang my snake!?! trust me i had a good grip on him but not tight enough as to crush him what do you think I am?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  13:00:49  Show Profile
ok....
well thanks for the advice guys.. Jaff is definetly happy in the skin he's in, no problems at all, so i'll just let him ride it out as he goes!
Thinking of getting another corn soon, they;re addictive!!, i want a motley.. not sure on colour yet.. although i have to say the aztec pattern that Mancunian has, he is beautiful!!!
are they difficult to get hold of?

1.0.0 Toddler- Finley
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  13:16:05  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
haha i think we have two enemies on here. guy seriosuly, go to the dark side if you're both gonna behave like stroppy teenagers

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

362 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  19:49:45  Show Profile
Amen PunkAs.

As for the original reason for this topic -

Shedding can take longer than other times, I personally put some damp spagnum (sp?) moss in his cold hide when he's coming into shed and leave him alone for the duration, just occasionally checking to see if he has shed/cleared/got any bluer.
Don't worry, when he's ready, he will shed.

As for the scared OH, my fiancee is terrible with my two, I had my Royal out with me on the sofa the other day, and he looked at her and she freaked out. IMO the way forward is to just invite him/her (in your case him) to come and watch you feed etc and let him watch when you handle Jaffa so he knows that he isn't likely to get bit.

After all that he might just never become comfortable with them, my OH still is no good after like 6 or 7 months or so, it just doesn't worry me anymore.

Oh and just a thought - may sound ridiculous, but get your OH to don some marigolds - worked wonders when I first got snakes and was a bit flinchy.

1 Carolina Corn Snake
1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

solid
Hatchling

United Kingdom
428 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  20:27:06  Show Profile
aly - slap him in the face and tell him to man up :P

3.1.1 corns - solid,liquid,ocelot,fox + raiden / 0.0.1 missing MBK - raven
PS3id: adam83
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 :  23:36:24  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by PunkAsF82

...i think we have two enemies on here. guy seriosuly, go to the dark side if you're both gonna behave like stroppy teenagers

quote:
Originally posted by neil

Whoah! since when did this place turn into RFUK?

Since i've never partaken the usage of *either* of the above sites, I cannot comment on how things are handled on there, but on here we like to keep things friendly. We always have, and always will.

neil and PunkasF82, thank you for letting people know that they may have been getting out of hand.

Lets keep this forum nice guys, thanks.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 18/03/2009 23:36:44
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2009 :  16:08:14  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Well said Kehhlyr!!!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

143 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2009 :  21:09:56  Show Profile
lol down boys.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2009 :  21:21:59  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Just to pick up on a couple of points for the OP, as has been said, shedding frequency will depend on age/growth and there's no way that it can be a Carolina as it has red eyes and no black markings so it must have Albino in it somewhere.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2009 :  11:53:50  Show Profile
no he's defo a sunissed amel then hes having a good day, hes just revving himself up for a good old shed!!!
lol. but hes taking his time, which i suppose is a good thing...
hes not uncomfy or anything, so im leaving him to it.

1.0.0 Toddler- Finley
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000