Advice on rescued leopard gecko
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2009 :  21:14:10  Show Profile  Click to see Janos's MSN Messenger address
Hey all.
I rescued a leopard gecko from a negligent owner, got it for free too. Poor thing hadn't been fed for a month, so tommorow, as soon as the reptile shop opens,I'm gonna go buy some crickets and supplement for it.
I know the basics of leo care, since I read up on some care sheets, but is there any advice that yous can give me?
It actually bit me when I was putting it back into it's faunarium (it was absolutely filthy), but it got my thumbnail.
I cut a bit out of my sock and left it in the faun with it. I put in some loo roll tubes and a exo terra snake cave that used to be my corns before she outgrew it (after washing it and stuff) for its moist box and since I don't have another water dish for it yet, I've put in the bottom part of a plastic drink bottle full of water for it, since I don't have a water dish for it yet.
Also, I'm aware that I don't have a thermostat, since the previous owner never had one, but I've bid on one on ebay thats a couple of days till it finishes, but it lived like it had for a good few months, so I don't think a week or so longer will do it any harm.
Is there anything I'm forgetting?

1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Ozzy
0.1.0 Anerythristic Corn Snake - Astra
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Zilly
0.0.1. - Sinaloan's Milksnake, Harley

n/a
deleted

107 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2009 :  21:38:07  Show Profile
aww poor leo... sounds like you have the basics covered cant think of anything you havent mentioned... hopefully after a bit of tlc he/she will pick up and hopefully calm down a bit, should be fine once he/she is eating and the temps are right, well done for rescueing the lil guy :)

Go to Top of Page

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2009 :  22:11:36  Show Profile  Click to see Janos's MSN Messenger address
Thing is, I'm not 100% on the temperatures, I don't have another thermometre >.< But the person who had it was using a sliver of heat mat under a rock, so it shouldn't be harmful, since im using the same heatmat and it can still thermoregulate.

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2009 :  23:08:02  Show Profile
Well done on the re-homeif leo is a bit on the skinny side then waxworms are the best thing to fatten them up. Don't be too put off by the nip today they do chill out with a bit of time - felix was a total nut job when i got her but now she's really starting to enjoy coming out and even the kids can hold her.

Oh and got any pics?

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2009 :  23:38:22  Show Profile  Click to see Janos's MSN Messenger address
I took one on my phone, I'll go upload it.

This doesn't show it's whole body, but its in its hide now, so I think I'm gonna leave it alone, plus its quite late and I'm tired ^^;
I'll get better ones up tommorow though =)
Also, I have a stupid question.
Should I put the heat mat under the whole viv?
Since I know that the temp gradient should be 29-32°C. Thing is, for my Corn, one end of the faun gets heated, and the other end stays at room temperature.
Room temperature for my room is between 24-26°C. I'm thinking it'd be hotter with the leo since there isn't a thermostat yet, but its not gonna be too cold for it, would it?
Sorry for the inane questions, but I'd rather ask here at this awesome place than get throttled at a place like RFUK ^^;

Edited by - Janos on 21/03/2009 23:50:17
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  01:20:02  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Tizzy

Well done on the re-homeif leo is a bit on the skinny side then waxworms are the best thing to fatten them up. Don't be too put off by the nip today they do chill out with a bit of time - felix was a total nut job when i got her but now she's really starting to enjoy coming out and even the kids can hold her.

Oh and got any pics?

Agree with the waxies. Just be careful he doesn't eat to many to often otherwise it could be hard getting him back onto cricks.
I give my beardies a treat of a nice fat waxy once a week, they love 'em.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

107 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  07:11:09  Show Profile
mealworms are also a good thing for fattening up to aswell as waxies, plus u can feed them more regularly, i would just heat one end of the viv, good choice for asking on here instead of that evil place lol

Go to Top of Page

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  12:04:51  Show Profile  Click to see Janos's MSN Messenger address
Hehe, yeahh, defo. I mean, I looked over there the other day...I've never seen so many egotistical assholes assembled in one place o.o

Okay, back on topic though. The leo hasn't come out of his hide much, but I'm assuming he's asleep. I'm gonna head to the shop and get some mealworms and some waxworms, see how it is with them.

Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  16:46:45  Show Profile
Well done you for rescuing... credit to you.

I got a trio of leo's earlier this year, and the male ate 1st day I had them, one female ate after about 8 days or so, and 3rd female ate after almost a month... so all individual.

Now they will all eat off end of plastic tweezers....

Hope you go on ok with him.... like Kellhyr says though... not too heavy on the waxies... mealies would be better... J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  20:04:55  Show Profile  Click to see Janos's MSN Messenger address
Well, he's been eating ^_^
He's ate three calcium dusted small locusts and I've put three more in just in case he wants them.
Due to a series of coincidences, I ran out of money, so I could get mealworms >.< Just the calcium powder and the small locusts, which were recommended to me by the shop owner, who's quite good and knowledgeable. He recommended I start him off on something small before he'll get used to eating again.
I've also left a little drinks cap full of calcium in with him.
Also, I'm gonna get a thermostat for £20 off a guy in Dundee, I've sent him an e-mail and am waiting for him to reply.
Still resisted all attempts to handle him though.

Go to Top of Page

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  22:34:31  Show Profile  Click to see Janos's MSN Messenger address
A question though. I'm kinda worried about him ingesting some of the fake spagum moss from his moist box if say, a locust happens to wonder into his hide and he decides to eat it. And don't the insects seek out cool dark places such as moist hides anyway?

EDIT,
I managed to pick her up and sit her on my hand, though I got a few bites for my efforts, but then she calmed right down, only getting cranky again when I tried to put her back in her tank.

Edited by - Janos on 22/03/2009 23:49:04
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000