New Beardie
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2009 :  22:22:47  Show Profile
Hey guys i got a new Baby Bearie today i swapped at the same shop for the Gecko, they was abit too boring and just a couple questions i didnt get filled in on
1> Do they need a Hide? What side of the Tank
2> Im presuming there like some other Reptiles and take a couple of days to adjust, coz i threw a couple crickets in earlier and he didnt seem to go for them
3> I know you need the UVB and Basking Light on 12-14hrs a day.. do i just turn it all off at night and they goto sleep?

Any advice is appreciated! ;)

0.0.1 Amelanistic Corn 'Noodle'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon 'Bowser'
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 'Remo'

''The Devil is a loser and he's my B*tch!''

n/a
deleted

107 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2009 :  23:27:19  Show Profile
great choice with the beardie!
1. alot of people say not to put hides in as it stops them from getting the uvb they need... i make sure mine have plants and rocks for cover but making sure they still get some uvb.
2. yea they can take a few days especially if they are young beardies.
3. as long as the temp in the room they are in doesnt drop stupidly low at night you dont need to provide any heat or light, although some people do use heat mats with a stat... personal choice really.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2009 :  09:01:34  Show Profile
Well ive got a heatmat too and i put the thermometer on the back of the tank about 3inches up and it read last night about 86oF and the guy at the reptile shop said that mgiht be abit too high so try having the basking and uv light on during the day then put the mat on at night.. i will take the hide out then last night he just slept in the corner at the front side. as far as feeding goes i just put another couple c rickets in about 5mins ago and he wasnt interested.. so i will not bother trying for another couple days untill he gets settled in. Also when there babys can they eat veg too? Will i try ptting some in and see what he thinks.. i tried mealworms.. and he was starin at them for ages then just like turning round and licking the rock for basking.. anyone know why they do that? Lick random things? Or is it just a sign of getting settled in?

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2009 :  09:52:27  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
There's a thread somewhere with my baby beardie setup in it, I have UVB tube, heat lamp and heat mat.

I've got 2 things in my tank they could hide in, but any uneaten crickets go into those instead so they can escape from the perils of beardie mouth.
I'll find thread in a minute.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2009 :  09:56:56  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
they don't need hides. best thing to do is construct a litle cave out of a branch and a plant, which will allow uv to get trhough

yeh they tyake a while to adjust. mine didnt eat for a week when i first got them

at night, i jsut turn the heat bulb and uv completly off, and they go to sleep :)

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

107 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2009 :  10:37:16  Show Profile
when they are babies they mostly just eat small crickets and a little greens, but still offer greens for a varied diet, with a heat mat make sure to use a thermostat especially if the mat is on the inside of the viv, licking is a natural behaviour its how they identify their surroundings like whats food and stuff... just keep trying with the feeding im sure he will be munching in no time, get some pics up of the lil guy! :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2009 :  14:28:08  Show Profile
Havent took good pics yet but i have these two...

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

107 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2009 :  16:52:53  Show Profile
aww hes cute so small, they grow really quickly, beardies are great so much personality and they get really tame... which reminds me after hes settled in and stuff try hand feeding every so often it really helps them bond with you

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2009 :  21:28:35  Show Profile
I just came in and found hes shedding, hes skin peeled over his back side.. do i just leave him? I dont need to mist? Or can i peel it off to help or anything? Gonna get some greens 2moro and see if he will eat any

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

107 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2009 :  22:11:09  Show Profile
i would just leave him to do it himself, beardies can take days even longer to shed totally, im not sure giving him a shallow bath at that age would be a good idea but when hes older it definately helps the process, if you think a bit of shed isnt coming off you could use a damp cotton wool but to gently brush it off

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

107 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2009 :  22:12:29  Show Profile
cotton wool bud* not but lol

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2009 :  23:09:36  Show Profile
Yea hes runnin around like mad rubbin and stuff lol theres a b ig bit on his back almost off and hes goin nuts lol and he just ate 1 cricket yay! Tried to get a second but failed lol but hey at least he ate something!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

107 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  00:18:40  Show Profile
lol good to hear it and at least hes gettin some exercise...

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  01:17:07  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I can't find my pics for some reason.
I can't remember what section I posted them in either, oh well.

Have you got a name yet??

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  01:47:37  Show Profile
Yea i thought Bowser was a good name lol

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  03:13:14  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Bowser, Haven't heard that for years.
I was thinking about Spyro before I settled on Aeris, then I got Siyo Jina

Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  16:35:48  Show Profile
Happy new baby!! ... I got a beardie a few weeks ago, and they are lovely animals... I feed mine mealworms off tweezers and she is slowly getting more used to me

I have a tree stump type thing for a hide that allows some sunlight in, and I have put this in a cat litter tray with about half inch of sand so she can dig to her hearts content. She seems to like it, and she sleeps under it at night. She also sits on top of it in day... Will upload a couple of pics of set up when I find my camera again.... J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000