Strange behaviour - very active!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  17:46:06  Show Profile
Arthur is about eighteen months old and has just shed at around 40 inches. For most of her life (yes I know she has gender issues!) she has been fairly reclusive, she would quite happily come out of her viv to feed but would then take herself back into her upturned fruit bowl where she would stay, until she was ready to defecate and start looking for food again.

Three/four weeks ago her attitude changed, she went off her food but was active all the time circling her viv,sliding up the glass, lots of tongue flicking, climbing on the logs and plants and if I opened the doors she would come out very quickly, not interested in mice but just going for an explore, she even overcame her aversion to being picked up which she has never been comfortable with.

I am thinking that perhaps she has become sexually active and is looking for a mate and although she has started feeding again as of two days ago I can't help but wonder about her well being. Does any one have any clues/advice please - thanks muchly.

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  20:40:00  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
hi archiekipper welome to the forum,natures taking over i think

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  01:19:02  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
It sounds to me you are right when you guessed about starting to become aware of her sexuality.
Females tend to do this, males more so if they are aware of a female, or so I believe.
Out of curiosity, i assume that when you got her you were informed she was male, hence the name arthur, but have since found out she was female.
How was she sexed as well?

And welcome to the forum.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  10:43:41  Show Profile
Unfortunately her misnaming was down to me, no wonder she is a little mixed up! I am now thinking she is female by the way her tail thins noticeably in profile just after her vent - a lot more obvious now she is a whopper, I haven't had her probed and don't think I could trust myself popping. I wasn't intending to breed from her so did not enquire as to her sex - probably dumb.

Otherwise she looks in fine fettle - will post a piccie later. Thanks for the advice.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  15:39:17  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
You're right in regards to popping, it's best to leave that to someone with a fair amount of experience, I've had snakes on and off for about 15 years now, and i still have never tried it.
Also, from what i know of it, popping is only recommended for young snakes, I can't remember how long ago or where i found out, but apparently it could potentially cause damage to older snakes' hemi-penis if done.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000