Mites
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

182 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2008 :  13:33:34  Show Profile
Hello, can anyone help please. Rosa has a few very tiny black bugs on her. I heard you mention mites before, not sure what they are or if a problem. What do we need to do. Thanks

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2008 :  14:44:43  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
i had them once with a royal, you can use frontline (dog flea treatment) and make sure you disinfect the viv and all the decor

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

182 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2008 :  15:25:26  Show Profile
thanks for your reply saddleninja. Ive Disinfected viv and all decor, we have also bathed Rosa in warm water, doesnt seem to have anything on her now, she did only have one or two bugs. is this ok ?

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2008 :  18:07:12  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I had mites on a royal too. Awful things

I used Zoo Med mite off, but it took a while. Put her on white kitchen towels when you clean her out. It helps you see the things (so you can squash 'em), plus apparrently mites need substrate to lay eggs in. Keep her on that for about a month to make sure no more little buggers get to hatch

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

526 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2008 :  21:27:05  Show Profile
Hope maurice doesent get them
Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2008 :  18:13:21  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
How do they get Mites? Just wondering because ive never really known

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2008 :  18:27:11  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
sometimes they get it from cross contamination from shop and i have heard they can be in the substrate but i don`t know how true that is

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

526 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2008 :  20:33:44  Show Profile
I found a small white bug in the substrate...could that be a mite? I couldent see any on maurice tho...
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2008 :  21:17:32  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
no mites are little black dots

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

182 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2008 :  21:31:33  Show Profile
Please help me again, we have had Rosa out tonight and under her scales at the back of her neck (so to speak) she has black marks. they are quite big not moving and dont come off in water. could they be mites again, completly different and much bigger than the others she has a few weeks ago. I hope i'm just being paranoid but after the problems with our first snake, i cant help but worry.

Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2008 :  22:09:18  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
Ill keep an eye out then when i next have Angelina out.

Hope Rosa is ok Rie

Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2008 :  09:56:03  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
Rie - sounds like they could be mites - They are little black dots like saddleninja says - they can bury themselves under your snakes scales - if you apply gentle pressure you can squeeze them out and squish them between your finger nails - I'd recommend using kitchen roll as substrate for a two months...the egg cycle is about a month, but if you keep her on kitchen roll for two months just to be sure (you can see the mites better on the kitchen roll and they prefer to lay their eggs in aspen or chip substrate)Get a course of Zoo Med mite off or frontline dog flee treatment like saddleninja says. the zoo med has oils in it that don't harm your snake and it's actually good for their skin so it won't do any harm. I'd only use frontline if I was sure its mites as some say it can cause respiratory problems if not applied correctly. Post a photo if you can focus in on them and we'll be able to confirm a little better.

Hope I've helped

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

182 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2008 :  10:50:42  Show Profile
Thanks lewy that has been a help i will get a photo on later if i can get her to hold still. She is burrowing alot latly too, is this a sign aswell ?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

182 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2008 :  14:45:18  Show Profile
Hi guys, Ive treated Rosa now for mites, completely disinfected her viv and all deco. I put down kitchen roll as you have suggested, but Rosa keeps going underneath it. Should i have taped it down or something. I worry coz the heat mat is under it a i dont want her to burn herself. Ive decided keeping Corn snakes is nearly as worrying as having kids. You peeps on here not yet got kids are going to make wonderful parents lol.

Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2008 :  15:00:27  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
Don't know if I could cope with real children - 6 Snakes are handful enough!

I'd get a spare piece of glass (make sure it's not sharp) or a ceramic floor tile and place it on top of the mat to stop any direct contact - try and purchase a mat stat to keep the heat from burning her - (you can get them over at 888reptiles) link here: http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/

Don't stick the kitchen roll down, anything sticky can cause more harm than good, it can even pull scales off and cause serious damage. Going under it shouldn't cause problems if the heat mat has a stat to shut it off if it gets too hot.

I know the stat seem expensive but they are ideal to get the habitat the perfect temperature.

Happy to help Rie!

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

182 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2008 :  15:32:50  Show Profile
Hi again Lewy, I have a habistat mat, but just found her sitting directly on top of it, so will try and find something to place on top of it then cover it in kitchen roll. thanks for all your advise.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

182 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2008 :  16:12:51  Show Profile
me again ! She is now shedding, which may be something to do with the treatment she was given for the mites. only problem being is that she has got head part off and that has come away completly (found in viv) but rest doesnt seem to be moving. what should we do ? Jaz due home from school soon and i know she will start to panic. thanks again guys.

Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2008 :  17:11:38  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
Id leave her to her own devices for awhile just to see what happens. If theres no change then put her in a tub with damp kitchen paper in it, this should loosen the skin then you'll have to get it off yourself.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

182 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  11:36:36  Show Profile
I followed your advise about damp kitchen roll Leyrielton and it worked a treat, rosa has now shed completely now and looks such much more confortable. will def use that again. thanks you so much for your advise.

Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  14:54:42  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
No problem, glad i could help you out.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000