Too big or too small...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  00:47:45  Show Profile  Click to see Janos's MSN Messenger address
Apologies in advance for the daft question.
Well, okay, basically, I've went and bought a medium exo terra snake cave, and I've realised that its a good bit too big for my 08 corn, even when stuffed with moss, so I'm thinking of getting her a pair of small snake caves.
Before she was in a small reptile den (the ones with the magnetic sides) and she was easily outgrowing that...
The question is:
Is a hide being too small better than it being too big?
From my own (very limited, this is my first snake) exprience, I'd say the former, but I just wanted to run this by you brainy boffins here, just to make sure. =)

1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Ozzy
0.1.0 Anerythristic Corn Snake - Astra
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Zilly
0.0.1. - Sinaloan's Milksnake, Harley

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  01:00:57  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
No brainy boffins here at the moment, only me.

I think small is better than large, they love being squeezed into something small, just be careful of access points, just in case they get stuck. The eye socket on an ornamental skull caused issues a short while back for someone on here.
Provided the snake can get into a hidey hole, then they can normally get out.
I've never known any hides that are comepletely sealed anyway, most are open on the bottom or side (like your magnetic one).

How long is the snake roughly?

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  10:10:19  Show Profile  Click to see Janos's MSN Messenger address
Hm, yeahh, I read the thread about the ornamental skull incident. And Kehhlyr, you are a brainy boffin =P
The snakes roughly er.. I've got discalculia, (dislexia with numbers) so I'll have to give you a quantitative statement, just a little bit over the length of your average keyboard, a little bit being about a third of of the length of the keyboard again. If that makes any sense? >.>
Hm, okay, I'm gonna head to my local reptile shop to get some mice, I'm due to feed her the last one I have tomorrow, I'll check out the size of the smaller snake caves before heading over to 888reptiles to buy it (things are very overpriced at my local >.<...good shop though, the guy really cares about his animals, which I hear is better than most).

1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Ozzy
0.1.0 Anerythristic Corn Snake - Astra
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Zilly
0.0.1. - Sinaloan's Milksnake, Harley

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  16:11:02  Show Profile
I wouldnt worry about it being too big unless its massive for her, if your worried screw up some paper and put in in the hide and she will be more than happy with it.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000