Worried about my temps
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  08:40:24  Show Profile
Please can you tell me if the following temps are ok?

Im having a little trouble keeping the cool end cool.

HOT END:
83 - 90 degrees

COOL END:
75 - 79 degrees

Basically there seems only to ever be a couple of degrees C between the two temps and I am worried this might not be enough.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Carl

0.0.1 Carolina Corn "Chequers"

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  08:57:13  Show Profile
what setup are you using? matt or light? i sometimes have problems with the cool end as I use a light for heat, but if i lower the light so that it is closer to the ground and therefore focuses the heat more that seems to work out ok...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  09:08:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Jono2411

what setup are you using? matt or light? i sometimes have problems with the cool end as I use a light for heat, but if i lower the light so that it is closer to the ground and therefore focuses the heat more that seems to work out ok...

Hi Jono,

I have this set up:

The heat mat is under the light coloured hide and is duct taped to the bottom of the tank because i couldnt get the temp up enough for the hot end. Now the hot end seems fine (albeit maybe a LITTLE high, but i can regulate thisw with the stat)

My main concern is that the cool end may not be cool enough currently 76 degrees, but this is on stat cooldown so will probably rise when the mat starts to heat up again.

Hot end currently at 85 degrees.

Im wondering if people here think my cool end is too hot and if it is how can i cool it down? maybe drill tiny holes in the cool end wall?

Carl.
PS hes currently hiding in the dark coloured hide.

Edited by - n/a on 06/03/2009 09:10:32
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  14:35:00  Show Profile
Temps sound ok to me, but his tank is a bit 'open' - try getting some cork bark pieces and cover up the hide entrances so it's a lot more private - your snake will feel a lot more secure then.

As you can see I have the same tank as you, and same hide, but there's a cork bark piece over the entrance so he feels nice and safe - his other hide is the cork piece on the cool end, and he uses both in pretty equal amounts...

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  16:52:13  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
have you tryed taking the probe out cool end an seeing what the room temperature is?

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  18:28:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

have you tryed taking the probe out cool end an seeing what the room temperature is?

I think ur right. When the room heating comes on the temp in the tank goes up, the hot end is regulated by the stat but the cool end obviously rises with the room temp. Luckily the tank is situated by a window (but around the corner from it) and ive noticed that if i open the window even the slightest then the cool end remains constantly cool.

Thanks

Carl.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  18:32:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by neil

Temps sound ok to me, but his tank is a bit 'open' - try getting some cork bark pieces and cover up the hide entrances so it's a lot more private - your snake will feel a lot more secure then.

Hi Thanks for the info. I went out today before reading this post and got a few plants and "twisted wood" from the aquatic centre and was going to ask on here if that was ok before putting it in his tub.

now i know about covering his hide entrances, I will get those tomorrow.

One thing though, if once hes settled in his tank, and his hide entrances are covered, what if I wish to handle him, is it safe to lift up his hide and pick him up? or will that distress him as the way i look at it, if hes in his hide, he obviously feels secure.

Just seems that he spends ALL of his time in his cool hide at the moment.

But it has only been 2 days LOL

Carl.

Edited by - n/a on 06/03/2009 18:34:35
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  21:42:40  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
picking up the hide and grabbing him might well p!ss him off! if i think one of mine might be asleep i usually get the water first and change that, by which time they've woken up and poked a nose out to see what's going on. then you won't make then jump and risk getting tagged

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000