hElp pleASE !!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  07:51:48  Show Profile
hiya i recently got a corn snake from a breeder the snake is about 1 and a half -2 years old and i am still gettin used to handling her she is still in the same tank that she has been in all her life but i think that shes frustrated because shes always hiding and burrowing. when i go to pick her up her tail shakes a lot, when i do pick her up for about 5 mins she just wants to go back into her tank what should i do to make her more comfortable thanks a lot is the tank to small beacuse i got a 3ft vivarium spare or am i doing something wrong

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  09:13:26  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Roughly how long is the snake? and how big is the viv?

It sounds like she is just not used to being handled. So it's just perseverence at the moment.
Keep up with the handling, she'll come round. Maybe when you go to get her out, just ope the viv and let her start making her way out, so when she's got just over a third of her body out, then pick her up.

Oh, and hi and welcome to the forum. :)

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 05/03/2009 09:13:56
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  13:40:58  Show Profile
Burrowing and hiding is pretty typical of a snake's life, otherwise they'd be dead from predators in the wild, so there's nothing to worry about there

The tail shaking like Kehhlyr says is probably because it isn't been used to been picked up.

As long as the snake has enough room, food, water and the correct temps and thermal gradient, with somewhere to hide when they want to, then you pretty much have it covered - snakes don't crave human companionship like say a dog would.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  15:53:24  Show Profile
hiya thanks for that when i open the tank she still doesnt move she just hides and she is about 22 inches long and in a 20 inch tank thanks a lot keep the advice coming
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  18:28:59  Show Profile
pleaase keep the replies coming as im a total beginner to snakes
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  20:50:13  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
as a guide length of viv + depth of viv = maximum length of snake is can house
without knowing the depth of the tank i can't give and precise figure but it sounds like your corn will be ok in that enclosure for a while longer.
has the snake had a week left to itself to settle in? even if it's in the same enclosure it will have a different view and new smells to take in.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  15:50:35  Show Profile
ok thanks she has been with me for 5 days and im goin to feed her today
Go to Top of Page

casper
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  16:01:09  Show Profile
It is best to leave her for a week to settle in before you feed or pick her up!
I made that mistake with my corn and I got bitten as a result.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  16:33:01  Show Profile
oh i just fed her i i didnt realise hopefully she will settle down soon do yout think i should move her to a 3ft viv and put a lot of stuff in the viv or not
Go to Top of Page

casper
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  17:15:30  Show Profile
My sanke is 2 foot and in a 18inch x 18inch tank ans she seems happy enough at the moment. I am currently pricing up a new viv as she is very quickly out growing this one.

You could try her in the new viv and see how it goes. I would make a real effort if you do decide to move her to really pack out her viv with hides, silk plants and logs etc to make it seem as if its a lot small in there than it is and then take them out / change the set up as she grows.

You will soon tell if she is unhappy in the bigger viv. I should think she will go off her food and become very timid and scared.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000