Vivarium (newb)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

119 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  23:53:38  Show Profile
Im thinking off making a vivarium ready for when i get a baby corn.
I've found some wood lyin around in the barn & was going to make the vivarium 38x18x18(inches) would that be a good size for a baby snake(unsure how old/long as i don't own one yet) or would it be too big? a friend of mine says they're agrophobic(scared of big open spaces). If this is the case what length do you recommend it be, i'll make the vivarium with a removable devider. Thanks for your help.

1.0 Bearded Dragon - Loki
0.1 Corn Snake - Smoo
1.1 Mexican Black King Snakes - Nameless

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  00:28:33  Show Profile
i dont think that a viv that size would be appropriate for a baby corn... the general rule is that the length+width of the viv should be equal to the length of the snake... a divide sounds like a good option, maybe start it at 1-1.5 feet and move it as the snake grows...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

119 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  00:34:30  Show Profile
Okay thanks =)

0.1 Corn Snake - Smoo
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  09:07:16  Show Profile
the reason for this, btw, is that little corns can get nervous in large enclosures, especially if they arent packed out with stuff to hide in/under...
Ramesses stopped feeding and i think it was due to this because when i packed out his viv with stuff he started feeding again, and since then i have moved him into a faunarium and moved my mexi black, who is bigger, into the 18x18 exo terra viv...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

119 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  17:51:08  Show Profile
Can some one run threw with me real quick a few things i would need to setup a vivarium for a baby cornsnake i know i need a heatmat but the floor of my vivarium is like 2cm thick wood, would a heat mat still work threw this thickness? im going to use news paper for substrate untill i get some more cash, i can make a few little hides as i have done it for my bearded dragon before. And if i get some fake planets would that be okay or would i need to get some real ones? if so what should i get? where are some good places to get the things i need without spending a fortune? Also is there anything else i would need. Is there anything i need but could do without for a few weeks as i really am skint at the minute, im looking to get everything i need to setup the vivarium for around £20(minus the heatmat) Thanks :)

0.1 Corn Snake - Smoo
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  21:36:07  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
you can put the heatmat inside the viv, under the newspaper but for any heat source a thermostat is essential and can be picked up for about £20+
hides can be home-made, i use a variety of proper reptile branded hides, cardboard boxes and plant pots/seedling trays. you'll need a water bowl large enough for your snake to have a dip if it feels the need, again you can pay a fortune for branded stuff but i also have sturdy dog and cat water bowls which available quite cheaply from pet supplies places. plants are probably better fake and cheaper from your local garden centre.

what sort of wood are you using to build the viv? melamine/contiboard is best, MDF is useless as it will get damp, and pine is potentially toxic unless you apply lots of coats of varnish. vents and glass runners are available from reptiles-ink on here.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

119 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  18:57:26  Show Profile
I've made the vivarium now, using melamine, i've made a little hide and im going to make a tunnel an maybe another hide, im halfway throught making a fake wall at the minute, iv got the plexiglass on a hinge with 3 little hooks to lock it at the bottom, its well secure with now gaps for an escapee. So far i havn't spent anything =D Going to get some fake plants and a heatmat + thermostat tomorrow from the garden centre(which is where the reptile house is too hehe, so handy) Can you reccomend a good thermostat to use, the last one i got (pet shop reccomended) is rubbish it dosn't work propely.

0.1 Corn Snake - Smoo
Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  19:19:47  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
I cannot comment on other makes because I have no experience of them.
But the Habistat range from Living Earth are very popular. I phoned the company before I bought one because I had a few questions I needed answering. They were very helpful too.
I have the pulse proportional stat which I can highly recommend. It keeps my viv at a nice constant temperature.
The basic mat-stat is perfectly adequate for most applications though.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

119 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  19:23:52  Show Profile
Is there any that i should look out for NOT to buy, cause ill just pick one up at the petstore 2morrow if i can then ill be able to get my snake too =)... My friend had a corn snake and said he didn't use a thermostat, he just turn the mat on and made sure it was covered in wood chips... think i'd rather be safe and get a thermostat tho.

0.1 Corn Snake - Smoo
Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  19:42:45  Show Profile
Please do use a stat.... they only cost from £20 up, and can save the life of your snake... no point going to the expense of a set up to cut corners that could end up in a cooked snake!!

I use both habistat dimmer stat for my corn who has a red heat bulb, and I use both a twin channel habistat for my stack and a microclimate day/night adjuster with my hoggie... they are all good in their own way, and suitable for all snakes and other reptiles needs.

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

119 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  08:00:49  Show Profile
Okay so i take it any thermostat is better than non? i wasn't not going to get one, i know how bad it can be to cut corners or just get what ever when it comes to reptiles, my beardeddragon is under the weather from bad lighting/incorrect heating. I will follow the advice mentioned don't worry =)
I have a log that skinned & then boiled in the sink with a bit of washing up liquid and then again with out then i sanded it down so theres no splinters, would this be okay to put in the cage its not massive, maybe a foot in length, it looks really nice and would be a shame to have done all the stripping & sanding for it not to get used.
I'll be going the pet shop in like 2 hours so ill be able to see what sort of morphs they have(if any). Thanks for all the advice Jono2411, Gingerpony, Budaholic & Jennet.

0.1 Corn Snake - Smoo
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

119 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  12:00:52  Show Profile
I just been to garden center/pet store and got some fake plants & a heatmat + thermostat all for £60. They had some corns there but the cheapest was around £80, i am looking for one for around £30, does anyone know anywhere that delivers to the south wales area with snakes around £30(not including delivery), thanks.

0.1 Corn Snake - Smoo
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

119 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  16:01:24  Show Profile
Sorry for the quality, its taken on the phone.
Okay heres a few pics of the vivarium.

Its sectioned off so theres only 2ft for the corn to roam around in.

And heres the thermostat & average temperature.

Just a few questions.
You like???hehe.
Is the temp okay for day time?
Does it have to be 10degrees lower on a night?
Should i have more things in the vivarium(apart from waterbowl)? on the site im getting my baby corn from it says shes going to be around 20cm.
And lastly what is the best substrate in terms of value for money, but also is pleasing to look at?

Thanks, and i hope you like what i've done so far =)

Total build price for this vivarium & everything in it was £60. I payed £250 for my beardies vivarium (which is slightly smaller) & all the fittings, So im pleased with the outcome... although you can tell its homemade hehe.

0.1 Corn Snake - Smoo

Edited by - n/a on 10/03/2009 17:35:32
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000