leopard gecko
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  16:15:26  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address
ok so my sister is gettin a leopard gecko for her birthday in June. Are these a good pet. Also, I heard they are nocturnal is this true? She is going to try and make it 'un-nocturnal' if thats possible i do not know. If so is this a bad idea? Personally i think it is and cant be done but would just like to know as she is asking me for the advice and i know nothing about leopard geckos.

1.0.0 Snow Corn: Skittles
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon: Edd
1.0.0 Dog: Oscar
0.0.1 African Mantis: Mildred

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  16:24:27  Show Profile
Leo's are pretty nocternal and to be honest pretty unsocable really, I hardly ever see mine out. They are really lovely when i get them out i always feel guilty when i disturb them. They aren't bad pets but they are also not the most interesting pet you could have, tell her to get a corn snake instead!!!!!

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  16:28:40  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address
:) she was going to get a corn for christmas but didnt bother. I think she should get a collard lizard because they are hyper; well they were in the reptile shop. Hmm ill tell her they arent the best and see what she thinks.

1.0.0 Snow Corn: Skittles
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon: Edd
1.0.0 Dog: Oscar
0.0.1 African Mantis: Mildred
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  16:59:16  Show Profile
It's not that i dislike them, or thet they're not good pets they're just not as interesting as some other reptiles and the novalty value wears off pretty quickly for most people - just take a look on preloved or in you local free ads and you'll see loads of people who are selling them because they want something more interesting and interactive.
Maybe you could just get her to look around abit, stuff like crested geckos, beardies, uromastix, or plated lizard are much more 'watchable' without being any more high maintanance time wise so thay could all be worth looking at. Of course there are gonna be a few people who say there leos are out all the time and enjoy being handled but i think in the majority of cases you'll find they hide away and tollerate being held - sometimes.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  14:53:06  Show Profile
some of mine are quite friendly and are out alot some arnt...

I think they are a great low maintenance lizard but novelty does wear off. ive been thinking of getting rid of mine to make more room for other stuff but decided to keep them cos i made a comitment to them and i do still like them alot, just not as exciting as i first thought.

if i had my time again i would go for a beardie, uromastix or a BTS.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000