were to place the thermometer
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  07:34:45  Show Profile
im wondering were the thermometer should be placed in the warm end, i use a bulb and under the bulb its around 34c+ tho over at the warm end very close to the end its 29c and cool end goes from 20c right up to 25 depending on how warm the room gets, im wondering should i keep under the light at 30c and let the rest of the viv sort itself out?

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket

heatseeker872591
Hatchling

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  12:31:28  Show Profile  Visit heatseeker872591's Homepage
well listen here. i use a heat mat thats running off the thermostat with a digital thermometer probe taped onto the heat mat. this stays on at 85F all the time. my snake will spend alot of time coiled up on that heat mat especially when digesting a meal. i also use a heat bulb now thats plugged straight into the mains. directly under the heat bulb ontop of my snakes warm end hide it gets very warm, over 100F but my snake never goes there he stays underneath the log where its 85F. the 60watt heat bulb is mainly on just for 6 to 7 hours a day to circulate warmth around the viv as i dont believe personally that a snake just needs floor temperature.
basically what im saying is its best to buy a heat mat with a little thermostat and digital thermometer to have that on all the time at 85F and this can be accuratley achieved using the digital thermometer. the heat bulb is good to but only to circulate heat around the viv, the heat mat with its correct temperature is best for the snakes basking behaviour
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  20:57:22  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by barrymc1

should i keep under the light at 30c and let the rest of the viv sort itself out?

30-32*C in the warmest place is probably best rather than 34*C+ and like you said, let the rest settle to ambient temp.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000