Viv Info
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  17:56:16  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
Hey guys :)

My corn just had her first shed with me, and I took the opportunity to measure her.. (85cm/33"/Close to to 3ft)
My question is this.. I want to get a 3ft Vivexotic viv; would it be good to get it now? (I know she's still a little small.. But her current faun is quite small)
Also.. Is a heat mat or lamp best for a wooden viv? And if a heatmat, what would I cover it with? I've heard tiles.. But what do people mean with tiles? O.o

And my last question, is it unheard of for a snake to only poop when it sheds? (But epic poop :P)

Cheers ^^

1.1.0 Corn Snake - 'Jasper' & 'Storm'
0.0.1 Curly Hair Tarantula - 'Fluffy'
1.0.0 Border Collie - 'Chance'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - 'Alfie'
0.1.0 Tortoise - 'Lightning'
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - 'Charlie'

RIP Eddie :'(

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  18:29:53  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
She should be ok moving into a 3' viv now if she's 3' (or was the shed skin 3'?).

I prefer bulbs inside vivs to heat mats.

My Corn goes at least once a week, but my Royals go a lot longer.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  18:50:45  Show Profile
Our boas both pooped when they shed - i was quite shocked when boycee did it last week, he hasn't eaten for 3 months and my word it stank!!!!!

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  14:31:43  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
Thanks for your replies ^^

I just bought a 3ft Vivexotic + Cabinet - So I'll set that all up once it gets here.
But I'm still torn between a lamp or heatmat :(
Wouldn't a heatmat be best as it's always on, provides a decent heat spot etc? But; how do I put it into a wooden viv? What would I cover it with? And could I put a UV light or something in so I'd be able to see her at night?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  14:56:33  Show Profile
you can use a heat mat or light its personal choice, i use a red bulb thats on 24/7 to keep him warm during the night until hes a year old! a heat mat can be used in the same way just depends on the equipment you want etc, tho some advice is dont use sticky tape to hold the mat down cover it with substrate or somthing, also you can uses a small not to powerful uv tube to use during the day, but at night if you want to view at night i would use a red light

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  19:01:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I also use a red bulb 24/7.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  21:14:26  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
Alright, so if I went for the red light - Would that be all that is needed?
How would I control the temperature? If it was too hot/cold?
And where would I put it? The top? Or 1/2 up the back
(Would it be bright? As it'll be remotely close to my bed, would it light the room up quite a bit?)

Sorry for the questions :(

Edited by - Spedz on 19/02/2009 21:17:11
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  21:24:46  Show Profile
I use a red light for my Boas, it's mounted on thr top with a dimming stat and guard and never stops me falling asleep on the sofa (although i do have to remember to close the livingroom curtains after dark though coz i live in the not best of areas ) I use a mat at night for my corns and normal light/heat bulb during the day - might seam a lot of effort but it's all on timers and works for us.

A dimming thermostat is a must for an infered bulb.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Edited by - Tizzy on 19/02/2009 21:26:56
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000