Behaviour Query
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  20:21:02  Show Profile
Had my Aug 08 corn since 31st January this year. On the 3rd Feb I moved her to a larger tank. On the 9th she ate her first mouse with me. This week I'll be moving her again to another viv.

She's 28" long and her current tank has a floor space of 24"x12" with hemp substrate, large hollow cork bark, more bits of cork bark and silk ivy. 3 sides of the tank have black backing on. The tank is not lit.

Since I've had her I've only seen her out a few times. Once when I put her in her new tank she explored it thoroughly. Another time I gently tapped my fingers against the glass and she came out of hiding to look and finally on Monday when she fed. I was under the impression that corns were a little more active than this? I've yet to handle her as she's never out! She is coming out in the night though when I'm asleep, I know because the hemp gets moved around and there was a poo by the water dish.

Does she just need more time or am I doing something wrong?

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink | Yemen Chameleon | Tokay Gecko | Ghost Corn | Pinstripe Corn | Royal Python | Mexican Black King | Speckled King | Black & White Banded Cali King | Sonoran Cross Dwarf Boa | Western Hognose | Rainbow Crab | Tiger Oscar, Green Severum, Silver Dollars, Ornate Bichir & Synodontis.

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  20:50:55  Show Profile
Your doing fine she's just being a corn snake, although i'd try and leave her in the current viv for a while if you can. It's a delicate balance between leaving her alone enough to feel safe and handling her enough to calm her down, you will see more of her once she's settled but all these viv changes really wont help. Hope that helps.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  20:56:56  Show Profile
Changes can't be helped really. First was from a small rub that really wasn't adequate into a fish tank but that's not snake proof so is covered in tape and a pain when I need access so I've ordered her a new Viv. No more moves after this one though.

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink | Yemen Chameleon | Tokay Gecko | Ghost Corn | Pinstripe Corn | Royal Python | Mexican Black King | Speckled King | Black & White Banded Cali King | Sonoran Cross Dwarf Boa | Western Hognose | Rainbow Crab | Tiger Oscar, Green Severum, Silver Dollars, Ornate Bichir & Synodontis.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  02:53:00  Show Profile
I think corns are pretty elusive until they have been in a viv for a long time and grow to know it's safe. I'd say just gently remove whatever hide it's in then slowly but confidently pick it up. It'll wriggle about surprising quickly for a few minutes and then should calm down for a bit after that if it's anything like mine.
Had mine about the same time and apart from 48hrs after a feed I handle her for 10 mins or so everyday.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  09:35:30  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i've noticed some of mine are more sociable than others, and a well-fed corn is often more inactive - they start cruising their viv when they get hungry.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  09:55:38  Show Profile
Thank you for the advice. Just so I know, does a corn bite hurt much?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  10:36:00  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i'm not the person to answer that one, i've managed to avoid being tagged so far!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  11:10:52  Show Profile
i've never been bitten by Ramesses... yet ;)
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  18:55:54  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
ive only ever been headbutted so far

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  13:42:51  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
They don't really hurt a great deal when they bite, it's more the shock of it.

They can feel like a very small sharp sting, a bit like having a small jab, but the only problem is that you could cause damage to the snake if you rrecoil to quickly and they haven't quite let go.

For everyone that hasn't been tagged, you're not a proper snake owner until you do.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  17:29:21  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Corns are too nice Kehhlyr! They need to borrow a king snake if they want to get tagged

I agree that it doesn't hurt- even my royal just felt like being nettled. They usually bleed well though

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000