Viv question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  13:48:26  Show Profile
My cornis in a temporary glass tank at the moment (24"x12"15" LxWxH). I've got a bit of spare cash so looking to buy a proper viv for it.

My corn is an Aug 08 hatch and measures about 28". I've seen a viv that measures 24"x18"x20" (LxWxH) it's a solid design with front sliding doors. Up to what size corn would that viv be suitable for?

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink | Yemen Chameleon | Tokay Gecko | Ghost Corn | Pinstripe Corn | Royal Python | Mexican Black King | Speckled King | Black & White Banded Cali King | Sonoran Cross Dwarf Boa | Western Hognose | Rainbow Crab | Tiger Oscar, Green Severum, Silver Dollars, Ornate Bichir & Synodontis.

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  14:06:08  Show Profile
Grr won't let me edit the post, get an error saying only the poster or a moderator can edit the post even though I am the poster!

Just read elsewhere on the forum that you add the length and depth together so I guess that means it could accommodate a 42" snake. On average how long do corns grow?

EDIT: Answering all my own questions here lol

Again, reading on this forum it looks like 4-5ft is the average so if I buy a 36"x18.5"x20" (LxWxH) then that would = 54.5" which is about 4.5ft and may do it its whole life(?)

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink | Yemen Chameleon | Tokay Gecko | Ghost Corn | Pinstripe Corn | Royal Python | Mexican Black King | Speckled King | Black & White Banded Cali King | Sonoran Cross Dwarf Boa | Western Hognose | Rainbow Crab | Tiger Oscar, Green Severum, Silver Dollars, Ornate Bichir & Synodontis.

Edited by - n/a on 14/02/2009 14:31:35
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  14:54:29  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Yep, a 3' viv should last its full life although some owners prefer a 4'.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  14:57:52  Show Profile
Ok, well I've ordered an Aquapac VX36. That should last a fair while if not life. I can always go bigger later on if need be.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  15:21:22  Show Profile
Just wondering about heat. I imagine the best place for the mat will be inside the viv, rather than outside as it's wooden. Do I need to cover it with a tile or will it be fine on its own? It is of course on a stat and I have a digital thermometer.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  02:48:55  Show Profile
I think the best heat sources for larger vivs is probably a heat lamp tbh. Get a red light one so it can be kept on at all times (as snakes don't register red in there visual spectrum so won't keep em awake). I'm also pretty sure corns like to be in a viv that's not too big so you may want to wait till it's bigger before upgrading, or partitioning the larger viv. If you put a heat matt in the viv then you will need to cover it with something that the snake can't get under as it may hurt itself on a bare matt.
Think that's all right, it's what has been posted in the past

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  09:38:08  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i personally find heatmats inside the viv the best option for corns. bulbs are better for heavier-bodied snakes to absorb heat and to provide a basking area (which corns don't need)
a piece of lino or tile to cover the mat so they can't come into direct contact with it and the mat run off a stat with the probe laying on the substrate surface.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  09:53:10  Show Profile
Why is it bad for the snake to come into contact with the mat? If it's on a stat it will be the right temperature, no different to putting lino over the top and the probe on the lino. The lino will be the same temperature as the mat would be with nothing covering it due to the stat.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  10:36:36  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
it's a 'just in case' precaution

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  12:14:08  Show Profile
In case of what? If the stat failed a bit of lino or tile won't reduce the heat much.

Edited by - n/a on 16/02/2009 12:14:39
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  13:47:06  Show Profile
you might as well just cover it, these guys know what they are talking about... also if you are gonna move to a large viv then pack it out with stuff so that its cluttered, Ramesses stopped feeding when he didn't have enough clutter but started again when i packed it out...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  14:32:37  Show Profile
If someone can give me a valid reason as to why mats must be covered that's fine but I honestly can't see the point. The temperature will be the same be it covered or uncovered due to the stat. If it's to stop the snake going under the mat then all you have to do is stick it down. It's not going to get wet as the water will be the opposite end of the viv.

I've got plenty of stuff I can put in so I'll take your advice and fill it :)

Edited by - n/a on 16/02/2009 14:32:57
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  14:58:06  Show Profile
bear in mind that im not sure and i dont use a heatmat but a lamp but i can guess that heatmats when they are heating up will get quite a lot hotter than is safe and the lino (or the bottom of the tank) will dissipate the heat so that it doesn't burn the snake while its on full whack... i personally reckon a lamp is better tho as it can adjust the temps more accurately...

got any pics of your setup? quite interested in whats hides etc you have...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  15:27:53  Show Profile
My point is though as the mat is connected to a thermostat that it won't get hotter than the set temperature i.e. set the stat to 28C, stick the probe to the surface of the mat and the mat won't get hotter than that.

New viv arrives tomorrow, will post pictures when I'm happy with it. Not sure when that will be though.

This is the current one:

The new one is wooden.

Edited by - n/a on 16/02/2009 15:29:10
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  15:46:58  Show Profile
looks like a nice setup... im about to put some pics of mine on... im gonna leave the mat question as i have no idea what im talking about... i do see your point tho...
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  18:46:43  Show Profile
I have a few sheets of newspaper ontop of my heat mat. Its another barrier to stop water getting to it and the snake wont burrow directly onto the mat.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000