mental snake
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  20:22:55  Show Profile
i have a 18week old corn and i took him/she out tonight for feeding, and it went crazy didnt care about the food just went mad and i feed outside the viv and really tryed to get away i had to grab it before it got away and i guess i might have hurt it, but i got it back in the viv but i had 2other corns that were nothing like this its crazy

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  23:20:44  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
it was probably just stressed. grabbing probs didnt help, just made it worse most likley. wriggling snakes need gentle handling. when you get worked up, they sense it.
Just try again, but stay calm. :)

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  23:47:28  Show Profile
i was calm and did it normal, its when i offered it food it shot off, i had to grab or it would of been lost in my room that really needs a clean so it could of got outside aswell, but the last 10mins i left food in the viv in a hide, and it went in to get it but the tail is still outside and hasnt moved at all, should i be worried?

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  17:45:44  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
What type of food were you offering? I know it sounds daft but my king is scared of rats She runs off or gets defensive if I offer her a rat, but will take mice no problem.

My royal will also only eat white mice and turns her nose up at brown ones.

I wouldn't be worried yet, just keep trying to handle him quietly and calmly. If you were scared you might have hurt him, then he will respond to your fear. He probably just had a bad day

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  20:00:45  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Sounds like we have a challenger for Trilby and Matilda's most mental corn titles .

Any update Barry?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2009 :  12:44:39  Show Profile
i have left it alone since thru after trying to feed i put in a long tube and put the pinkie inside after 30mins it came out of hiding and took it. i have seen it coming out at strange times during the day and going back to the same hide! i dont know whats up with it also when its moving around it keeps its neck in a v shape all the way around the viv! then is ok going into a hide! i have a red light on 24/7 could that be it?

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  14:31:22  Show Profile
tryed to handle today and it tryed to strike at me, worse than before, no running away and i was really calm just lifted the hide and put my hand under to scoop it up. not sure what else to try?

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  15:00:49  Show Profile
just persevere... once its been handled enough to know that you arent a threat then itll be all good... its not an overnight solution...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  15:51:23  Show Profile
yeah its just worring as i had corns before and none were ever like this, im going to leave it another 2 days and just change water and try again

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  16:03:21  Show Profile
i used to have a skink who was very skittish and would bite every time i picked him up but after a couple of months he chilled out nicely... i reckon youll be alright... how old is he btw?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  16:38:41  Show Profile
hes only 20weeks just under a foot long

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  17:18:28  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Just count yourself lucky that she's not a 4 and a bit foot, 4 yr old psychopath like Matilda my rescued corn .

She does exactly the same thing every time I go in the viv. Give him time and he'll get used to you .

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  17:36:49  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Just keep trying- I know it's easy for me to say but don't be scared of a bite. They don't hurt.

I'm just saying this because if you leave your snake alone everytime it goes for you then it's winning!

It will learn that striking is the way to get what it wants i.e being left alone.
If you can still pick it up, even after aggressive behaviour it is more likely to realise that striking doesn't work and calm down more.

Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  17:44:57  Show Profile
thanks for the advice i have put more items in the viv and added more clutter hides etc around 8 in total going to leave it another day to then handle tomorrow i can actually handle but its a struggle also when i hold it i dont want to stand up because of fear of dropping it should i just stand up and handle for 5mins then put it back in? or just keep it low incase it falls thats what i fear most this is the fastest corn ive ever had all the others just didnt mind being handled at a young age and i got them all at the same shop! just different snake i guess

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  17:52:46  Show Profile
You could sit on your bed and hold it a few inches above it, if then it does fall it wont hurt itself.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  14:23:09  Show Profile
thanks for the advice i got holding it for arounf 30sec, i just lifted up the viv and he rose up in striking mode, i just put my hand under and it tryed to get away i got a hold of its middle region, didnt squeeze and stood up its was a little scary when it tryed to dart out of my hand but it soon knew it would fall and even stayed close to my hand i didnt hold longer as it felt very cold nad hand been in the cold end and is still very small will do again tomorrow and hold a little longer before feeing.

thanks again

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  20:52:49  Show Profile
just a little update, got rocket out 2nitew for 1-2min took me longer trying to get him out, but once in my hands he wasnt to bad, i even let him in the viv and just before he shot off i picked him up again just trying to get him used to it, he was left alone from thru after a feed, so going to do the same again then feed thru again

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2009 :  08:41:34  Show Profile
glad to hear he is beginning to chill out... you must be quite pleased
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2009 :  11:41:13  Show Profile
yeah but maybe its just me bein more relaxed and not giving up when it raises its head, and not following it around the viv, long way before i can say its calm but just going to take it day by day and 48hrs after feeding

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2009 :  16:22:44  Show Profile
picked up today again went great just scooped him up in 2sec and popped him back in 30sec he was in the warm end when i picked him up going to feed tomorrow and keep it going!

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000