Hot Or Cold Side?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  17:29:24  Show Profile
Hey guys i brought my baby a new half log to hide in and he spends 90% of his time in it, but should i put it on the heat mat side or the cooler side of the viv with his water?

Thanks

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  17:39:27  Show Profile
mine does this aswell it hides under some aspen in the middle of the viv, behing a large hide, if its placed in the warm end it goes there or cold there, i dont have a heat mat but a bulb, i keep it in the middle, of the viv and when he/she gets warm it will go seak ut warmth or cold, but with a heat mat it could be different

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  18:20:05  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Is this the only hide he has?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  18:25:18  Show Profile
Ideally you should have two hides - one on the cold side and one on the hot end.

A snake's urge to hide is stronger than it's urge to thermoregulate, so if your temps are too high or too cold then your snake would not move away from a potentially life-threatening temperature if it only has the one hide.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  19:03:16  Show Profile
He has 2 hides, but currently only uses the log as he's getting to big for his rock hide!
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  19:07:07  Show Profile
If you have two identicle hides he wont feel more inclined to use one over the other. Then all he has to do is decide what temp he wants to be at (instead of how secure he wants to feel).

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  19:47:25  Show Profile
i have 6 hides in total 2 in cold, 2 middle 2 warm, he usally stays in the middle untill night when i catch him moving around at night i have a thermometer in a hide at the warm end,the one he uses most and i have noticed at night it actually gets quite warm in there compared to the middle and cold end.

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000