Snow corn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gazza89
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  18:52:30  Show Profile
hi, im new to this forum and need a bit of advice. I have a 6 month old carolina corn snake who is perfectly fine and eats etc. I have also just brought a 16 week old snow corn and need some advice on him. I have had him a week and he has not eaten since i have had him and pet shop feed him a week before that, he also has a small amount of skin hanging off the side of his neck. He also has 2 black circles inside of him one of which is half way down its body and the other 2 inches further down his body towards the tail. Can any help with any of these problems. cheers

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  19:16:38  Show Profile
Welcome to the site.

The snake has just had a stressful week (being moved, new person and smels to get used to) so not eating for a week is usually nothing to worry about. If he has some dodgy skin a bath or giving him a moist hide could help but as for the circles ?????? Can you post up a pic?

Dont worry someone else should be along soon who might have more of a clue.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

gazza89
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  19:25:25  Show Profile
sorry but aint got a camera and phone camera is busted which isnt alot of help. Not sure if it is food that is in the middle of digesting as they did say the bloke at shop sometimes forgets to write down when they feed them. because the snake also hasn't passed anything out since i have had him/her
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  20:44:50  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
with young snows you can see their insides, i wouldn't be overly worried unless any lumps develope indicating a blockage. roughly how far down the body are the dark circles? if you could approximate it to a percentage of the way down the body from nose to tail that would help me immensely!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  20:46:00  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
The length of time since feeding is not an issue, snakes by nature are designed to go without food for a long time.

Snow corns can be very translucent and you may just be seeing the internal organs through the skin, do they move at all?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  21:04:21  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

with young snows you can see their insides

quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Snow corns can be very translucent and you may just be seeing the internal organs through the skin

yup, that's exactly what i meant

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 09/02/2009 21:05:04
Go to Top of Page

gazza89
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  07:56:52  Show Profile
They are probably about 40/50% down and about 70% down, they seem to be staying in the same place. He seems perfectly fine ie moving around well enough and seen him drinking. His skin seems quite saggy aswel, not sure if he is coming into a shed.
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  12:44:39  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
My snow has the same dark circles, its nothing to worry about, just organs and poop :P

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

gazza89
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  20:06:37  Show Profile
Im going to pet shop to get my money back, came home and it is dead. I have looked after it exactly the same as the other one but has died. It hasn't eaten for two weeks as he wasnt interested. As for the circles within its body, he had 2, 1 went and now it has come back bigger and has made him quite big in that place.
So i am going to complain that they gave me an ill snake and get my money back or another snake.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  20:17:39  Show Profile
Sorry mate

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  20:41:01  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Only just seen this thread. Somehow missed it earlier.
This rings a bell as well. Didn't someone last year have a snow corn hatchling with a black mark inside it?

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1120 Similar???

and: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1008

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 13/02/2009 20:42:10
Go to Top of Page

gazza89
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  16:37:06  Show Profile
After leaving the snake over nite the 3 circles inside his body have turned into 1 large green thing(about an inch long) could this be the food that he hasnt passed out. I have spoken to the pet shop and need to take it down there next saturday as the manager on honeymoon at the mo.
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  17:05:16  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
What are you doing about preserving it until then? The green colouring sounds like putrifaction starting. If it's definately dead bung it in a sealed plastic container/freezer bag and put it in the freezer otherwise it will be minging by next saturday. The shop won't be able to tell anything by then if you don't. Let us know how you get on

Go to Top of Page

gazza89
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  17:08:32  Show Profile
what is putrifaction, and i have put it in the freezer. I have already spoken to them today and said that i want my money back or another snake. So will find out next weekend.
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  17:15:44  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Putrifaction is the natural decay process caused by the bacteria from the gut. When an organism is alive the bacteria are contained within the gut but, once an organism ceases to live the bacteria are no longer contained there and spread out from the gut digesting it from the inside. Kind of doing the job it normally does with food but to the dead body instead. Freezing it will arrest that process.

Go to Top of Page

gazza89
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  17:17:19  Show Profile
Ok thanks for that mate. Will keep you posted
Go to Top of Page

gazza89
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2009 :  11:07:13  Show Profile
went to pet shop and they have given me a stripped corn snake which is orangey with red lines. the bloke said that it did have a blockage or a gut infection. Thanks for your help
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2009 :  12:42:55  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
A stipe for a snow is a good deal :}
Sorry about your other snake though :( It may have been a blockage

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2009 :  14:35:24  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Nice one. Glad to hear that they did the right thing .

Go to Top of Page

nova1990
Yearling

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  22:24:19  Show Profile  Click to see nova1990's MSN Messenger address  Send nova1990 a Yahoo! Message
mine had the same thing. it turned out to be parasites.
sorry to heard about ya snake tho and nice one bout ya new snakey hehe

Corn Snake - Ayame
Mexican Black Kingsnake - Ryuzaki
Bearded Dragon - Puff
Salmon pink Tarantula - Olivia
Antilles pinktoe Tarantula - MossChops

Ipswich, Suffolk
Go to Top of Page

gazza89
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  08:31:13  Show Profile
Cheers, will put some pics on soon of both snakes just to show you all.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000