Beginner Help
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  19:45:23  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
Hey :)

I got my corn snake last sunday, but have a few questions about her behaviour etc :P
(She's 7 months old now)

I fed her last sunday, and she happily took it down ^^
But she has yet to poop (But doesn't have any ireggular lumps etc)
Thing is, she last shed on the 29th of December.. So could she be pre-shed? She has grey spots all over around her body.. But she's a red/yellow morph with red eyes.. So will they go blue? :S

Also, is there a maximum to how long she should be out? I'll take her out for 15 minutes, try to put her back and she tries to achor herself on me and stay on me.. She isn't stressed at all, and is happy to sit and explore my arm (She was the most handled corn supposedly)
So, she ends up being out for around 45 minutes before she seems to get a little stressed.. Is that good/bad? :S

I tried to feed her today, but she didn't want it.. She just ran back in her house

Also.. I came up to find that she had burrowed underneath her water bowl.. Something she's never done before.. Could she be associated sitting in her house as me easily disturbing her?

Sorry for the long questions.. I'm just worried about my little friend

Cheers :)

1.1.0 Corn Snake - 'Jasper' & 'Storm'
0.0.1 Curly Hair Tarantula - 'Fluffy'
1.0.0 Border Collie - 'Chance'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - 'Alfie'
0.1.0 Tortoise - 'Lightning'
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - 'Charlie'

RIP Eddie :'(

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  19:59:06  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
heya and welcome
ok here goes...........
1 wouldn't worry about no poop yet, if she's been on a maintenance diet in the shop she'll be absorbing most of the food she's eaten.
grey spots sound a little bizarre, do you have any pics?
red-based snakes go very pale and their eyes go cloudy rather than 'blue' pre-shed
at 7 months old she'll be quite small so will cool down quite quickly out of the viv, best to keep handling sessions to a maximum of 20 mins
ideally the shop should have told you to leave her undisturbed for a week before trying to feed her or handle her, its not surprising she's not feeding consistently
burrowing under the water bowl is something snakes do to cool down more, or she could just be exploring her new enclosure. what are the hot and cold end temps in your set-up?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  20:06:14  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
Thanks for the reply ^^

I mean grey spots as in.. the colour of their shedded skin, if that makes sense :P
I have noticed her colour going more pale.. and I'm not sure about her eyes, they're still.. red xD

The temps seem to be fine.. as I have the heat mat under 1/3 of the tank (It's a fanuarium atm.. I'll get a 3ft viv once she gets slightly bigger)
and she currently has her head out, leaning on the water bowl looking at me :P

Should I just wait a few days in hope of a shed? Or shall I try again with food etc?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  20:12:19  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I would say that as her colour is changing and she's seeking humidity around the water bowl that there's a high chance she's coming into shed. Her eyes should go milky, but on some its barely noticeable.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  20:51:41  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
good point BE, expect her to shed within 7 days of her eyes clearing Spedz

Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  21:33:29  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
Alright, so hopefully she'll shed soon then ^^
Thanks for the info :P

Another question.. I've had her for a week now, but without a thermostat..
I was thinking of getting the whole 3ft viv/digital thermometer etc sometime soon (Once she grows a little bit more) - So is a thermostat vital? (I know it a stupid question, but I just thought it'd be easier to get it all at once once i move her in.

Atm, she's in a faunarium with a heat mat under 1/3 of it.. and a clay hide on the hot side, and the water on the cooler side.. Should I rearrange etc?

Sorry to be noobish around this all.. I just want to ensure she's at optimial conditions :(

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  21:39:14  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Yes a thermostat is vital, you can pick them up for £20. An uncontrolled mat can heat to 150F if faulty and you can't guarantee it never overheating.

I would also add that you should have a hide on both the hot and cold side to that the snake has a choice of conditions to hide in.

Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  21:50:15  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00413nh2.jpg

That's my current setup..
So, would a habistat mat thermometer do the job?

I am aware that they need 2 hides.. But I just don't really have the space :/

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  22:50:32  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i'd put something in the cool end for her to hide under, that might be another reason why she was burrowing near the water bowl - she wanted to cool down but didn't have a 'safe' hideyhole.
i doesn't have to be anything flash, even a piece of cardboard propped up on the water bowl would do the job.

a thermostat is essential, particularly with a plastic faun - i've heard reports of the plastic melting when they've got too hot!
if you get a stat i'd thin out the layer of orchid bark substrate to 1-2cm thick, it can also be quite moist creating an environment that's far too humid for corns. baking it in the oven usually sorts that out though.

Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  17:16:55  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
Alright, I've put a toilet roll down by her water bowl.. so hopefully she'll appreciate that ^^
I've also ordered a habistat mat.. So it should be here soon :P

I have a picture of her finally, could anyone tell me her morph?
When I got her out to change around her tank.. she curled up in my hand and barely moved (only about 10 minutes after did she do her usual routine of exploring. Is this pre-shed behaviour?
I'm not sure on her eyes being mistier, or if she's more pale.. But she did seem slower and somewhat cautious and clumsy :S

Cheers ^^

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

595 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  17:37:14  Show Profile
was she cold?

they tend to stay still in your hands to warm up as your hands give off heat. And then when they are warm they start exploring.

lovely corn

0.2.0 corn snake
1.2.0 Leopard Gecko
2.1.0 Hermann tortoises
3.1.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Bird
0.0.5 Fish
1.0.0 Ferrets
1.2.0 bearded dragons

Edited by - n/a on 09/02/2009 17:38:32
Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  18:24:37  Show Profile
I'm not good with morphs, but she looks a bit like my daughters Amel - Tango... He's two, and their colours change a lot as they grow

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  18:44:07  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
A very nice Amel, even going towards a Sunglow.

When you say Habistat Mat Thermometer, do you mean matstat?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  20:57:39  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
definitely an amel

Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  22:01:07  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
Thanks for your replies guys :)

An amel then? Ooh, ok :P
And Blackecho.. Yeh, I mean a matstat - I think ^^

She's come up from under the water bowl and back into her house on the hot side..
I tried to feed her again, but she still ignored it :(
If she is pre-shed.. How long will it be until she does finally decide to shed?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  22:14:27  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
they usually shed in about 7 days from when their eyes clear again

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000