help please
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  21:44:36  Show Profile
hello, i am new to this forum, and to alot of others to do with corn snakes because my corn wont eat.
from about a month and a half before Christmas, my corn stopped eating. I thought it was because i was giving her rats then i changed to mice because there wernt any rats left. I thought i had found the solution because i fed him a rat about two weeks before Christmas and he ate, but he has stopped now...
the tank is at 70 degrees. he is still very active but just wont eat. He has shed once about 9 days ago.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks caris

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  22:16:49  Show Profile
Which bit of the tank is at 70? The warm end should be around 88, cold end should be around 70-ish.

Where are you measuring temps from? You should ideally measure from the top of the substrate (which is where your snake spends most of it's time)

If your temps are ok then it could be the change in food type - you can try scenting and I'm sure others will have much more help - snakes can go a long time without food so don't get too worried just yet!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  01:40:05  Show Profile
how old and big is your snake as well?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  06:39:08  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
70 is far too cold to allow a snake to digest food. Corns need a gradient from 70F up to about 85F at the hot end.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  20:56:09  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
if you get your set-up and temps right he's more likely to start eating again. at 70*F he's probably brumating for winter, not ideal for young corns but often used to induce breeding in adults. while they're at this cooler temperature they're inactive and don't feed as (like bE said) they can't get warm enough to digest their food.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 09/02/2009 22:15:14
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  21:34:07  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

at 70*C he's probably brumating for winter,

At 70C he'd be cooking

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  22:15:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
corrected *blows raspberry at BE*

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  15:58:42  Show Profile
Try and make sure your corn has plently of places to hide i.e. a cluttered tank is a good tank, im pretty sure it was what got Ramesses feeding today....
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  17:49:08  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

at 70*C he's probably brumating for winter,

At 70C he'd be cooking

wish i had spotted that,we all make mistakes gp

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: