Defrosting?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

48 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  23:26:51  Show Profile
Emmets feeding day is tuesday, and i was told by the woman in the petshop to defrost his two pinkies in a container overnight, then feed him in the morning, is this correct?

1.0.0 Okeetee corn (Emmet)

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  23:43:20  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Normal feeding would be in the evening as the snakes come out to hunt. I usually take the prey out in the morning and feed in the evening.

However, I know of some snakes that prefer to eat in the morning too.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

48 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  23:45:46  Show Profile
Okay thanks ^.^

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  09:39:14  Show Profile
I feed around 7 when the snake is active and roaming. I put the rodents into a food bag and then into a cup of warm water.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  11:44:34  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
ideally they should be fed at warmer than room temperature. i heat then similarly to matty, in a plastic tub over a mug of boiling water after letting them defrost. alternatively, let them defrost on a tub on a radiator. an hour or so should be plenty of time to defrost a pinky, the bigger the prey item the longer it takes to defrost thoroughly. to check it is defrosted, the belly of the prey item should feel warm and squidgey. evening feeding is more natural as it is when your snake is naturally more active, it also means you're not rushed for time if you have a problem or shy feeder.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

48 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  18:23:53  Show Profile
okay ill defrost my pinkies over a radiator at about 6 then, thanks GP

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  18:51:28  Show Profile
Just got out 3 smalls 5 large and 2 med rats in to a bucket of warm water - i'll start with the smalls in about half an hour then by the time i get to the rats they'll be fine - i do dunk the heads in to boiling water just b4 i feed just to get the smell going (in a bag so no chance of drippping) I have a cat so the radiator thing would never work in my house. lol

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

48 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  18:55:01  Show Profile
yeah defrosting "tasty" rodents around a cat isnt the greatest idea ;)

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  19:00:38  Show Profile
Well Oz likes it but the lil $^&* brings in at lease 5 rodents a week and decorates the bathroom with them - never eats them though - wish i could feed them to the corns but he's made himself ill eating them b4, stooopid cat!

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  20:01:22  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Tizzy

I have a cat so the radiator thing would never work in my house. lol

i put them on the radiator in the bathroom and shut the cats out, anywhere else would be fair game for them though

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000