need a little help im new to all this
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  15:32:12  Show Profile
I have recently bought a corn snake I am unsure of what morph she is but she is bright red and orange with no black the closest pics i'v seen are a motley or a day glow. I have only had her 3 weeks and she seemed to be settling in fine, she was feeding regular but was not really passing anything from the back end. yesterday I put her into her feeding tank and left her to settle when i returned it was like a swimming pool and her excrement was very large. This worried me slightly as I used to have a snow corn when I was younger and this never happened. Is this normal or should I seek further help. Any help would be much apprecated

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  15:43:00  Show Profile
Can you post any pics?

How old is she, how long is she, what / how much / how often are you feeding

What substrate was she being kept on before you had her and what substrate do you keep her on now?

Its likely to be absolutely fine.... most reptiles will hold on to all the goodness they need from their food, so if you are not overfeeding, poop may not be that often etc, but if you could post up a bit more info, someone with more knowledge will be able to offer better advice... J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  15:55:00  Show Profile
Thanks jenette,
she is nearly three foot not sure on her age the ladies in the shop said about 18 months. she is only on fuzzies at the min as she has qiute a small head she has been takin them every 6 days and even though she made all that mess yesterday she still seems her normal self. I would love to post some pics but dont know how could you help me with that to plz

Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  16:10:43  Show Profile
Go to the photo's thread... tells you how to post using photobucket... really easy once you get the hang of it...

Also, I don't know too much about snakes, but if still only on ? one fuzzy at 3 foot, it may be why she is not pooing too much (using most of it for goodness,,, very little to eliminate)? Head size is not always the best thing to look at when feeding I don't think - normally most people on here say max one and a half times the width of the snake is largest size prey item should be offered. My daughters Amel was overfed when we had him (being fed every 5 days on jumbo mouse, so I've dropped it to 7 days - still jumbo mouse or small rat, and he seems to be slimming down a little, without showing great weight loss), but he does not poo as regularly as he did when last owner had him(apparently every 3 or 4 days).

Doesn't sound like you have a problem, probably just a matter of you waiting to see what the 'cycle' is like with this particular snake and you getting used to each other... but hopefully others will offer advise soon also... J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  21:19:38  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
at around 3ft she's likely to be ok on small or medium mice every 5-7 days. the size of the prey item shouldn't be more than 1.5 times the width of the snakes body ay the thickest part, as Jennet said.
if she's pooed then she's not blocked up, hopefully as she gets into a regular feeding pattern she'll poo on a regular basis too. if she doesn't then a warm bath usually makes sh!t happen

Jennet - if the amel is an adult male he could be fed every 10-14 days

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  23:40:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Yep, ignore head size, they are designed to stretch, use body girth as a prey size guide.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  11:34:41  Show Profile
Thanks for all the help guys il try her on bigger mice next time. but now i have another question... she hasnt fed since her little accident but is looking like she is ready 2 shed she has done nothing this morning but rub her head along the sides of her viv and under her water bowl. how long do u recon I should leave her before trying to feed her again?
should be some pics soon
thanks again for all the help

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  11:39:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
some will eat when they're due to shed, others won't. if she's rubbing around then a shed could be imminent so it might be worth waiting till she does.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  15:51:56  Show Profile
thanks again n i hope u like her pics

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: