Heating problems, fixed?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

48 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  23:15:16  Show Profile
Hey guys i got my new corn (Emmet) today. We got his fanarium set up with the heat mat under it, but we realised that the mat wasnt touching the bottom of the fanarium, and as a result the temp at the warm end was way down. My soulution was to prop the mat up on a teatowel, and it now makes contact with the bottom of the fanarium. The temp has increased, unfortuanately i cant moniotor it yet beacuse the thermomiter i bought is broken, im getting another tomrrow.

Im just wondering if its a good idea to do what ive done, i figured it would be okay as long as Emmet was getting some heat at the warm end. What do you guys think?

1.0.0 Okeetee corn (Emmet)

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  23:41:51  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
What feels warm to you is probably too warm for a snake, have you got it on a thermostat?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

48 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  23:47:26  Show Profile
Yes, but i have no way of knowing if the stat and mat are working to the correct temprature as i dont have a working thermomiter.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  09:37:09  Show Profile
Well if its on a stat I would just leave it not touching unit you can get a thermometer. Arange it so that the mat only slighly warms the faun, too hot is worse than too cold (this is assuming that the room its in isnt freezing).

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  11:48:45  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
some mats are designed to stick to the bottom of a faun/viv, they have a peel off backing that reveals a sticky side, such as the 'Exo Terra Heat Wave Rainforest'. these need airflow underneath and come with 4 stick on feet to raise the underneath of the faun/viv/tub and like any heatsource must be run off a stat. what sort of mat have you got Dean?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

48 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  18:21:35  Show Profile
i have an algarde heat mat, and we went to the pet store to pick up a thermomiter, but it was closed :(

Hopefully my grandad will be able to go tomorrow and get one while im at college.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

48 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  18:25:48  Show Profile
http://www.atlantisaquatics.co.uk/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=1999

Im pretty sure thats the one.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  20:02:41  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
ahh, a normal one (rather than these new-fangles sticky E-T ones!!)

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000