Temps (again) - big variance at hot end
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  11:06:28  Show Profile
My heat-mat is controlled by a cobra-stat - it appears to be working fine, but I've noticed that there is a large variance in temps before it turns off/on.

My hot end ranges from 79.5f to 90.5f - if I turn the stat down so I don't peak above 88f, the hot end will hit 77f before the stat turns the mat back on...

I understand that with mat stats by their very design you have some variance in temps (as it needs to hit a certain temp before they go off/on), but is my variance ok?

Would I be better not going above 88f and ignoring the lower temp it hits?

Cheers

Neil

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  11:07:59  Show Profile
Should have said, the lower temp was hit overnight so possibly the actual variance isn't quite as big

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  14:26:51  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
nothing wrong with a drop at night as in the wild the temp will drop too, i had similer problem but i have big variations in the day time, so i swopped over to a pulse prop stat an the temp is much stable no more than 2 deg variation

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  15:29:09  Show Profile
Would a largish variation during the day be that bad for a snake? I would imagine in the wild the sun doesn't always shine with the same intensity - clouds passing, shadows etc (now I'm wondering some variation in temp would be more natural for the snake!)

I'll set it so that the max temp only hits 88f...

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  15:40:12  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I think as long as it's not too high or too low you should be alright, especially with a corn.

I keep mine at around 29-30 degrees so maybe 90.5 might be a bit much. Over heating is more of a problem than underheating really.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  16:02:31  Show Profile
Hi niell,

please read my thread as i bought a cobra stat too and encounterd these problems. it's not just at night either it would spend 20 mins warming up to 2c above what you set it too, then turn off for 15mins cooled down 6c to 7c or 4-5 below what it was set too before turning on again!!!!! so it was just yo yoing twice an hour
i gave up on it and went out and bought a Habistat Mat Stat as i really wanted to finnally bring Butters home. Now it varies less than 0.6c day or night. she is holed up hiding mow but it's been a day so she's prob still scared will get some pictures up when she out and about...

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2291&whichpage=2

Edited by - n/a on 06/02/2009 16:03:05
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000