New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  11:29:23  Show Profile
Hi guys,

I feel awful now as when our corn shed it looked like he had a good shed apart from the head skin was destroyed so there was a bit of a worry that his eyecaps hadn't come off.

When I cleaned him out I found the skin from his head, complete with eyecaps so that was good...

However last night my daughter (who is back from Uni as she's ill and so was around) noticed that it looked like his tail skin hadn't come off after all, and when I checked, she was right - what I had assumed to be a full lower shed wasn't - it had just got twisted tightly so that it looked like the shed went down to the fine point of his tail...

So this means he's had about an inch or two of tail skin left on for about 11 days - will this have harmed him? He's only about 12 - 14" long.

We gave him a soak in lukewarm water then letting him slither through a towel, and his tail skin did start to come off, but where it got really fine at the tip, we weren't sure we'd got it all off. It's certainly lots better than it was, but I'm just worried if we haven't got it all off.

I think we stressed him too as he was out of the viv for nearly an hour and with us dunking him then towelling him I feel sorry for the little guy, but it was for his own good!

He got his own back on me though by pooing on my hand... Funny how they stop completely and you're wondering "huh?" then it becomes clear... (or rather, brown)!

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  11:52:49  Show Profile
i dont think it will harm him to much, just if it happens every time he sheds. i would get some moss and give him the option to get really moist if he wants and have a wayer bowl big enough for him to get into.

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  12:23:41  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
I think he will be fine. Usually when you see snakes that have lost their tails they have a huge build up of dead skin which has been left for months. After 11 days he should be fine, just make sure you give both the shed and him a full check in future ^^

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  12:26:52  Show Profile
the warm water seemed to help so if the problem persists then you should try that again...
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  20:58:53  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
the sort of timescale you're looking at shouldn't be a problem, if it was left on till his next shed then it would start to be a problem.
the corn i rehomed just before Christmas arrived in a terrible state with regards to shedding and although only the last 3mm of his tail had several layers stuck to it, it must have been a chronic problem as the last 4cm of his tail looks permanently damaged and distorted. he's very lucky it hadn't dropped off!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  21:55:37  Show Profile
We'll keep a close eye on his next shed, and today I bought a small RUB and some sphagnum moss (4.99 reduced to 99p!) which is now in bags in the freezer, as per the sticky thread.

When he starts shedding I'll add the damp moss to the RUB and stick it in his viv so he can hopefully get a full shed next time...

Thanks for all the advice!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

77 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  14:02:17  Show Profile
my 2 corns have just started their shed cycle. i have just noticed that my amel has already shed, but his skin is coming off in patches instead of one long shed, any advice on getting the rest off? my other one has just started and his eyes have just gone cloudy.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  14:36:17  Show Profile
Let them have a bath in lukewarm water - this softens the skin and then lay them on a towel, and cover them and as they slither through the folds in the towel it will help the skin come off...

When we first put James in the water, we thought he was drowning and yanked him out, but he was only drinking bless him! The water really helps to get the skin off.

In future you can help them shed by increasing humidity slightly as they come up to shed or better still put a small container of wet sphagnum moss (there's a sticky explaining how to do it) so your snake can dampen it's skin if it wants (also provide a large enough water dish so they can bathe if they want to is a good idea).

Good luck - apparently lots of people have had bad sheds lately - some have said it's because of the weather we've had lately...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000