Huge Viv vs Heat Mat. Advice please!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2009 :  12:52:36  Show Profile
Ok, the viv i currently have is 48"x16"x12" i know this is huge for corn that is about 18-24 months old and aware that it needs well packing out before i introduce the corn but my main concern is heat. The current heat mat is 11"x11" and therefore covers roughly 1/4 of the floor space, now would it be ok to use a similar or same size heat mat at the opposite end of the viv and having the cooler area in centre of the viv or would i be better off with a larger heat mat or heat strip? Any and all advice is gratefully received!

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2009 :  13:20:57  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
A heat mat should only really cover a third off the viv,personly i would partition part of the viv of as 4' is going to be way too big,even with plenty of gear in there.you only need a heat mat at the other end if the temps is realy cold and you cant have the cool area in the middle.hope that helps

Edited by - lee2308 on 25/01/2009 13:21:41
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2009 :  16:08:22  Show Profile
It does thanks. To be honest i'd given that some thought before, just need to work out the best way to do it!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2009 :  21:11:45  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i'd go for the partition idea too, a snake that size would only need about one third to one half of the length of your viv.

i used to have 2 11" x 11" mats in my 4 foot viv but had them both at one end, so when yours is fully grown you could do the same or just buy a bigger heatmat.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000