Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2008 :  23:17:41  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
hope it goes ok

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2008 :  23:17:41  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
hope it goes ok

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2008 :  22:53:21  Show Profile
Your incubator is set up wrong. the thermometer needs to be where the eggs are not measuring the temp of the inside wall of the incubator. Also you need to put the stat sensor probe into the substrate the eggs are buried in. Try covering the eggs over with damp sphagnum moss & make sure the eggs are atleast half buried in the vermiculite. check on them weekly to start, checking temp, humidity, how moist the sphagnum moss is & the condition of the eggs. I would recommend you read a book too. Sorry to sound harsh but Kathy Loves book or books sold at 'south mountain reptiles' will guide in the right direction.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2008 :  22:53:21  Show Profile
Your incubator is set up wrong. the thermometer needs to be where the eggs are not measuring the temp of the inside wall of the incubator. Also you need to put the stat sensor probe into the substrate the eggs are buried in. Try covering the eggs over with damp sphagnum moss & make sure the eggs are atleast half buried in the vermiculite. check on them weekly to start, checking temp, humidity, how moist the sphagnum moss is & the condition of the eggs. I would recommend you read a book too. Sorry to sound harsh but Kathy Loves book or books sold at 'south mountain reptiles' will guide in the right direction.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2008 :  23:20:55  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I'm assuming you were saying that my incubator is set up wrong 'moneymaker'.
As it happens, i know it was in the posted pics, i had to throw away my vermi I had shortly before taking the pics, as it was incredibly poor quality.
The incubator was also running with water under the propagator as opposed to vermi as well, this is because otherwise i wouldn't have been able to keep the humidity up, without cooking the eggs that were on top of the cotton shirt.

My incubator setup at the moment has a Perlite base, which has been water leveled to half way up the perlite, as perlite is damn good for water retention, then it has a co**** Vermi on top of that, with a fine vermi on top of that again.
The level of vermi in my incubator is about halfway up, the heat mat is halfway across the perlite/co**** vermi layer which bring the internal heat up nicely, but not too hot. The Stat is still housed in the same place, because I KNOW that it's keeping the temp between 29 and 33 celcius, the temp sensor is buried about half an inch under the top layer of Vermi.
I have had it set up like this now for about a fortnight, and I monitor temp levels on surface of vermi, and at stat level so I can get it setup and sorted for my next batch.
I even dragged my brother-in-law round to check and he gave it a 5 star mark, so from someone who had a 95% success rate on breeding, I'll say I'm sorted. In fact the only reason he said a 95% was because he was including 'slugs', Every egg he ever had that was good hatched.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2008 :  23:20:55  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I'm assuming you were saying that my incubator is set up wrong 'moneymaker'.
As it happens, i know it was in the posted pics, i had to throw away my vermi I had shortly before taking the pics, as it was incredibly poor quality.
The incubator was also running with water under the propagator as opposed to vermi as well, this is because otherwise i wouldn't have been able to keep the humidity up, without cooking the eggs that were on top of the cotton shirt.

My incubator setup at the moment has a Perlite base, which has been water leveled to half way up the perlite, as perlite is damn good for water retention, then it has a co**** Vermi on top of that, with a fine vermi on top of that again.
The level of vermi in my incubator is about halfway up, the heat mat is halfway across the perlite/co**** vermi layer which bring the internal heat up nicely, but not too hot. The Stat is still housed in the same place, because I KNOW that it's keeping the temp between 29 and 33 celcius, the temp sensor is buried about half an inch under the top layer of Vermi.
I have had it set up like this now for about a fortnight, and I monitor temp levels on surface of vermi, and at stat level so I can get it setup and sorted for my next batch.
I even dragged my brother-in-law round to check and he gave it a 5 star mark, so from someone who had a 95% success rate on breeding, I'll say I'm sorted. In fact the only reason he said a 95% was because he was including 'slugs', Every egg he ever had that was good hatched.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2008 :  10:31:05  Show Profile
only offering advise these forums are all the same when someone tries to help out, people dont like hearing truth - oh well no loss.
I also am successful at breeding - not just corn snakes. There's no reason for the heatmat to be half way under (?) the box of eggs but if it works then fair enough. 29 - 33 is too high - 28 to 30 would be better but a constant temp of 29 has given me success everytime. There are many reasons for losing eggs during incubation which is not always 'our' fault. That's why corn snakes lay so many.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2008 :  10:31:05  Show Profile
only offering advise these forums are all the same when someone tries to help out, people dont like hearing truth - oh well no loss.
I also am successful at breeding - not just corn snakes. There's no reason for the heatmat to be half way under (?) the box of eggs but if it works then fair enough. 29 - 33 is too high - 28 to 30 would be better but a constant temp of 29 has given me success everytime. There are many reasons for losing eggs during incubation which is not always 'our' fault. That's why corn snakes lay so many.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2008 :  10:39:38  Show Profile
Also with the fine vermiculite it doesn't allow proper air circulation around the eggs when they're buried - good luck any way.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2008 :  10:39:38  Show Profile
Also with the fine vermiculite it doesn't allow proper air circulation around the eggs when they're buried - good luck any way.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2008 :  10:40:45  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Heya Moneymaker.
In the photos, the heat mat is half under the box of eggs, because the egg box is actually floating on about 2 inchs of water, so i partially submerged the heat mat to keep the humidity up.
I had no choice but to do it that way, as it was late on a saturday afternoon/evening, and I would've been screwed to do anything until monday.
Didn't mean to sound snappy, unfortunately i've been caught on a very bad couple of days, i can sense that a few people are gonna feel my wrath today.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2008 :  10:40:45  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Heya Moneymaker.
In the photos, the heat mat is half under the box of eggs, because the egg box is actually floating on about 2 inchs of water, so i partially submerged the heat mat to keep the humidity up.
I had no choice but to do it that way, as it was late on a saturday afternoon/evening, and I would've been screwed to do anything until monday.
Didn't mean to sound snappy, unfortunately i've been caught on a very bad couple of days, i can sense that a few people are gonna feel my wrath today.

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2008 :  10:55:25  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
hi moneymaker, welcome to the forum, i just put my eggs in a sandwich box filled about half way with vermicuilte and popped it in a spare viv and so far 21 have hatched, 7 more eggs to go is that beginners luck or what, what other reps do you breed

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2008 :  10:55:25  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
hi moneymaker, welcome to the forum, i just put my eggs in a sandwich box filled about half way with vermicuilte and popped it in a spare viv and so far 21 have hatched, 7 more eggs to go is that beginners luck or what, what other reps do you breed

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2008 :  11:05:20  Show Profile
That's ok I'm not trying to say you're incapable of incubating eggs just offering help. Have you thought about using an aquarium heatstat ? They need to be constantly submerged in water & may work better than half submerging a heatmat. Just a thought.
From what I can work out from what you've said, your incubator set up reminds me of a set up I've seen on the net for incubating leo gecko eggs. glass tank filled with couple of inches of water, put a brick in, put the egg box on top, etc, etc...
One incubator i used was a poly box hole in top for the stat sensor to go through into the egg box buried in vermiculite, digi therm buried in egg box vermiculite too. 3/4 of all eggs buried with sphagnum moss on top. didnt use humidity guage just felt the substrate & sphagnum moss to see how damp/moist it was. If the eggs were in a pile/clump then i would try to atleast leave a little bit of each egg nearer the top showing but to be honest I never really had a problem with the lower eggs not hatching even if completely buried. That's why I said about not using fine vermiculite, as the air can't circulate.
Any way that's just a rough description of the method I've used before.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2008 :  11:05:20  Show Profile
That's ok I'm not trying to say you're incapable of incubating eggs just offering help. Have you thought about using an aquarium heatstat ? They need to be constantly submerged in water & may work better than half submerging a heatmat. Just a thought.
From what I can work out from what you've said, your incubator set up reminds me of a set up I've seen on the net for incubating leo gecko eggs. glass tank filled with couple of inches of water, put a brick in, put the egg box on top, etc, etc...
One incubator i used was a poly box hole in top for the stat sensor to go through into the egg box buried in vermiculite, digi therm buried in egg box vermiculite too. 3/4 of all eggs buried with sphagnum moss on top. didnt use humidity guage just felt the substrate & sphagnum moss to see how damp/moist it was. If the eggs were in a pile/clump then i would try to atleast leave a little bit of each egg nearer the top showing but to be honest I never really had a problem with the lower eggs not hatching even if completely buried. That's why I said about not using fine vermiculite, as the air can't circulate.
Any way that's just a rough description of the method I've used before.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2008 :  11:12:35  Show Profile
my last post was meant for kehyyler (or something - sorry).
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2008 :  11:12:35  Show Profile
my last post was meant for kehyyler (or something - sorry).
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

182 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2008 :  14:32:56  Show Profile
Moneymaker i can understand why Kehhlyr was upset with your post, from previous threds he was deverstated he lost those eggs, and really didnt need you telling him is was doing it all wrong. Perhaps maybe you can post your advise nicely next time, without starting it off with "your set up is wrong" Just a suggestion we are all meant to be friends here.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

182 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2008 :  14:32:56  Show Profile
Moneymaker i can understand why Kehhlyr was upset with your post, from previous threds he was deverstated he lost those eggs, and really didnt need you telling him is was doing it all wrong. Perhaps maybe you can post your advise nicely next time, without starting it off with "your set up is wrong" Just a suggestion we are all meant to be friends here.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000