Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2008 :  10:43:53  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I have used a misting gun on them a couple of times, as the shirt although it hold the moisture well, it's not as good as it can be.
My misting gun I use regularly anyway as I have other things to use it on, and that sits on top of my fish tank hood, which keeps it quite nice and warm.
i'm gonna be picking up some vermi later, hopefully. I hadn't thought of going to garden centre for it, my nan uses it for flowers.
I need it soon though, as sid is looking for a nest box as well now.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2008 :  10:43:53  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I have used a misting gun on them a couple of times, as the shirt although it hold the moisture well, it's not as good as it can be.
My misting gun I use regularly anyway as I have other things to use it on, and that sits on top of my fish tank hood, which keeps it quite nice and warm.
i'm gonna be picking up some vermi later, hopefully. I hadn't thought of going to garden centre for it, my nan uses it for flowers.
I need it soon though, as sid is looking for a nest box as well now.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  00:43:18  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Got some vermi from garden centre today.
It's a lot better. What i have noticed is that it doesn't smell really, the other stuff had an odd sort of smell about it, so I looked up on the internet about other uses of Vermiculite, and I found this:http://www.dupre-vermiculite.co.uk/vermicapplicloft.htm
The bag I had was labeled 'Micafil Vermiculite', so it turns out I was given a bag of VERY old loft insulation.
That could explain some things. I'm gonna dig the bag out of the shed over the next couple of days and look at it closer because some early bags of it had asbestos fibres in it,(what is it with me and asbestos?), and that would probably explain a few things in regards my eggs.
That also means that I'll have to bring my snakes to the vets to have them checked, they've all been in and around it.
Plonker here realised how much the snakes liked it and put a larger box in with it in so they could have a 'bed box', and they ALL loved sleeping in it.
Makes me even more angry that a shop would sell the stuff knowing that it was potentially lethal to snakes and other reptiles.

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 30/04/2008 00:44:18
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  00:43:18  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Got some vermi from garden centre today.
It's a lot better. What i have noticed is that it doesn't smell really, the other stuff had an odd sort of smell about it, so I looked up on the internet about other uses of Vermiculite, and I found this:http://www.dupre-vermiculite.co.uk/vermicapplicloft.htm
The bag I had was labeled 'Micafil Vermiculite', so it turns out I was given a bag of VERY old loft insulation.
That could explain some things. I'm gonna dig the bag out of the shed over the next couple of days and look at it closer because some early bags of it had asbestos fibres in it,(what is it with me and asbestos?), and that would probably explain a few things in regards my eggs.
That also means that I'll have to bring my snakes to the vets to have them checked, they've all been in and around it.
Plonker here realised how much the snakes liked it and put a larger box in with it in so they could have a 'bed box', and they ALL loved sleeping in it.
Makes me even more angry that a shop would sell the stuff knowing that it was potentially lethal to snakes and other reptiles.

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 30/04/2008 00:44:18
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  10:26:04  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Think you need to be writing some strongly worded letters!

Sorry to hear about the eggs, but a few do look like they will still hatch so keep your fingers crossed.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  10:26:04  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Think you need to be writing some strongly worded letters!

Sorry to hear about the eggs, but a few do look like they will still hatch so keep your fingers crossed.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  10:41:09  Show Profile
that sucks, the vemic i got from the garden center was really good cheaper aswell if i remember right

www.cornmorphs.webs.com www.southwestpythons.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  10:41:09  Show Profile
that sucks, the vemic i got from the garden center was really good cheaper aswell if i remember right

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  13:54:14  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Heya Kehhlyr, did you see the photo of my snake Birch's eggs? (clicky link in the tread 'Newbie to corn snake breeding') I'm having similar problems to you so don't feel bad about it, we just do the best we can and a certain amount of it is down to Nature. Out of the 11 eggs Birch laid 3 look good, 5 are iffy and 3 were definitely useless, so looking at yours percentage-wise you're having more success than me! :-)

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  13:54:14  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Heya Kehhlyr, did you see the photo of my snake Birch's eggs? (clicky link in the tread 'Newbie to corn snake breeding') I'm having similar problems to you so don't feel bad about it, we just do the best we can and a certain amount of it is down to Nature. Out of the 11 eggs Birch laid 3 look good, 5 are iffy and 3 were definitely useless, so looking at yours percentage-wise you're having more success than me! :-)

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  02:56:00  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I've lost all the eggs from that batch, even the few that looked good.
It's really miffed me off.
I've now taken a drastic turn, and destroyed the incubator and thrown away everything i used in it, just incase it's still 'tainted'.
Gonna be building another up tomorrow, as Sid is expecting.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  02:56:00  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I've lost all the eggs from that batch, even the few that looked good.
It's really miffed me off.
I've now taken a drastic turn, and destroyed the incubator and thrown away everything i used in it, just incase it's still 'tainted'.
Gonna be building another up tomorrow, as Sid is expecting.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  12:51:46  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I hope you have better luck with Sid's.

I'd be really upset if I was you. Think it would put me off breeding for life.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  12:51:46  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I hope you have better luck with Sid's.

I'd be really upset if I was you. Think it would put me off breeding for life.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  14:39:27  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I know, unfortunately i was never intending to breed, even though the females and male normally are housed together they haven't had any attempts to re-produce for a long time.
There was just something in the air this year i reckon.
I'm hoping this batch will be good, i was gonna make a guide with this incubator, but had to put it together quickly so didn't have time to take any pics.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  14:39:27  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I know, unfortunately i was never intending to breed, even though the females and male normally are housed together they haven't had any attempts to re-produce for a long time.
There was just something in the air this year i reckon.
I'm hoping this batch will be good, i was gonna make a guide with this incubator, but had to put it together quickly so didn't have time to take any pics.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2008 :  21:38:02  Show Profile
sorry to hear about your eggs hope all goes better next time

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2008 :  21:38:02  Show Profile
sorry to hear about your eggs hope all goes better next time

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2008 :  23:12:36  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Sid has just done her pre-lay shed, so i'm expecting eggs in about 7-10 days.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2008 :  23:12:36  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Sid has just done her pre-lay shed, so i'm expecting eggs in about 7-10 days.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000