Vivs as incubators?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

595 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2009 :  20:05:47  Show Profile
I have a pair of leopard geckos and this year will be their first year breeding. I'm looking into incubators, ones you can buy and home made. I was thinking of making a polybox type one, but then a friend said she used to use a spare vivarium as an incubator with a thermostat on the heat mat. I'm buying my corn snake a viv in advance for when shes fully grown, so in the meantime that viv wont be used. Is it possible to use the viv to successfully incubate the eggs?

0.2.0 corn snake
1.2.0 Leopard Gecko
2.1.0 Hermann tortoises
3.1.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Bird
0.0.5 Fish
1.0.0 Ferrets
1.2.0 bearded dragons

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2009 :  20:19:21  Show Profile
I know its possible, but not as accurate (in temperature) to a proper incubator. Leo eggs will result in male or female depending on what temp they are, so if your not really bothered what sex they are, it should work ok.

As for the actual way to do it, I know that people have covered the floor of the viv in sand because it olds the heat, but the rest I dont know about.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

595 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2009 :  20:26:24  Show Profile
yea she used sand aswell, and then cricket boxes with vermiculite ontop.

0.2.0 corn snake
1.2.0 Leopard Gecko
2.1.0 Hermann tortoises
3.1.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Bird
0.0.5 Fish
1.0.0 Ferrets
1.2.0 bearded dragons
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2009 :  17:31:53  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
If you're not too fussed about the sex of offspring then go for the viv conversion but if you want total control over gender then get the proper kit. I'm not too sure whether it would apply to leos but one of the professors at the uni was doing a similar thing with Xenopus spp. embryos, got his temps a bit out and ended up with hamaphrodite tadpoles.

We kept winding him up by calling them drag-queen frogs and asking if they had beehive hair-dos/massive eyelashes .

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000