Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2009 :  18:55:38  Show Profile
Just got home now and found my sons baby bloodred corn snake has past away. GUTTED
As you may know I'm new to snakes and did a lot of research before getting one. I got him xmas eve and left him alone for several days to settle in. (The viv was all set up by the shop by the way complete with heat mat, hide, water bowl, thermometer etc) We fed him a pinkie which he kept down ok and again left him alone for 2 days. We then started handling him fo 10 to 15mins a day thereafter.We then tried to feed him again 5 days after his first feed but he regurgitated it 24 hours later. I removed the pinkie and left him for 10 days as suggested by the shop. During this time he was quite active. I again tried to feed him and he took the pinkie fine that was on Sunday afternoon and again left him alone. We found the pinkie this morning and a lifeless snake this afternoon. Can anyone tell me where I have gone wrong ??????. My son is really upset and I have promised him another one but don't want this to happen again.

When i went to pick him up the original snake I choose had stopped feeding so I came home with this one instead.

The only thing I have just noticed is there has been no stool in the viv. (not sure what to look for but pooh is pooh)The temp in the cool side is 25C so I think the temp is ok. HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!

1 Ghost Corn Cecilia
1 Ultramel Corn Cecil
2 Dogs
4 Kids

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2009 :  19:04:08  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
What was the temp at the hot end? - Was the temperature controlled by a thermostat?

To be honest though, there's not much you could do too wrong in 3 weeks.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2009 :  19:26:06  Show Profile
They only gave me 1 thermometer which was placed at the cool end. I have relocated it now to fine temp at hot end under heatmat. The viv is a 12inch cube viv with a heat mat covering half the floor area. They gave me the heat mat but not sure how that is controlled as theres no Thermostat I can see. How are heat mats controlled - on and off ???

The temp has stayed a steady temp at 25C at the cool end with the heat pad plugged in all the time So I presumed it would be around 30C at the hot end. The viv is kept in his bedroom where the central heating doesn't drop below 16C so the room is a constant temp.

1 Ghost Corn Cecilia
1 Ultramel Corn Cecil
2 Dogs
4 Kids
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2009 :  19:54:37  Show Profile
Oh i'm so sorry it's heartbreaking to tell kids something like that.

Like BE said you cant really do much damage in 3 weeks so don't beat yourself up over it, It's just one of those things. If you do decide to get another one i'd suggest getting a thermostat to control the temps though.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2009 :  20:01:14  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Without a thermostat the heatmat is constantly on and can get exceedingly hot. A mat stat will turn it on and off as required to maintain a certain temperature.

Uncontrolled heatmats can fluctuate in temperature.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2009 :  21:45:18  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
25*C on the cool end doesn't provide much of a temperature gradient, your house must be boiling to have an ambient temp of 25*C !! I'd say the fault lies with the petshop for providing you with duff information (or not making it clear if it was possible to get the wrong end of the stick) and for selling you a snake with insuffient equipment, and lord only knows how they set the viv up in the shop!

so sorry to hear your sad news though moorey i hope it hasn't put you and your son off keeping snakes. if the petshop is any good they should offer you a replacement snake if that's what you want. please feel free to ask us any questions about setting up a viv in the future, at the end of the day, we give cornsnake-specific advice. sorry again for your loss.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2009 :  22:19:02  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
Sorry to hear that i think any decent rep shop should offer you a replacment becuase of the short amount of time you have owned it and i think you should point out (softly softly) that they did'nt tell you that you need a stat.If that fails then kick off

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2009 :  22:20:21  Show Profile
Cheers Guys feel really bad. Will get another one but I need advice on set up especially the heat mat thought I had all bases covered with the shop seting up the viv. Can you send me details on correct equipment I need. I have taken photos of viv for advice but don't know how to upload to show you

1 Ghost Corn Cecilia
1 Ultramel Corn Cecil
2 Dogs
4 Kids
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2009 :  22:23:46  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
Stuart

go into the general keeping section, theres been a few questions an threads recently about heating and temperatures etc, im sure you will find all you need there. where u from??

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Edited by - a33272 on 13/01/2009 22:24:18
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2009 :  22:41:10  Show Profile
Cheers thats for that
Manchester. shop is in Stockport

1 Ghost Corn Cecilia
1 Ultramel Corn Cecil
2 Dogs
4 Kids
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2009 :  22:55:12  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
For some reason a lot of shops don't recommend stats, but research has shown that faulty heat mats can get to over 150F in not controlled, easily enough to cook a snake.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

77 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2009 :  22:56:46  Show Profile
hey, sorry to hear that. i have only had my snakes not even a week yet so fingers crossed they wont go the same way. sorry to hear about your loss, your son must be devistated

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  07:46:30  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Sorry to hear about the snake mate. Not easy having to break that kind of bad news to kids (been there with my kids' pets).

Go to Top of Page

heatseeker872591
Hatchling

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  12:28:26  Show Profile  Visit heatseeker872591's Homepage
theres definatley no need to feel bad. all corn snakes are most vulnerable when babies less than a year old, they are so prone to internal parasites, respiratory infections, and regurgiation. i bought my corn snake at the age of 6months so he wasnt a hatchling. and already had records of when he hatched, and everytime he ate and shed. thats the sort of thing you got to look for when buying a snake is history of it before you owned it. nevermind though im sure your next corn snake will be ok
Go to Top of Page

heatseeker872591
Hatchling

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  12:35:50  Show Profile  Visit heatseeker872591's Homepage
but yes thermostats are highly recommended, i mean i use a heat bulb for daytime cycle and switch over to a heat mat for night time. i just use a plain temperature thermostat, and it works fine. many people say ahhhhhhhhhh get a dimmer thermostat they are better. but i find temperature thermostats are good enough. and also get yourself a little digital thermometer as sometimes the temperature it says on the thermostat is not always perfect, so if you get yourself a little temp thermostat and a little digital thermometer they basically will work together to give your snake the correct basking temperature.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  15:41:48  Show Profile
If you can get down to Timperley there is an excellent pet store in the village who appear to be quite knowledgeable and have been very helpful with me. If you want more details let me know.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  19:38:45  Show Profile
Hi Malteeza, I actually live in Sale so Timperley is on my door step. I have emailed the shop in stockport and they have said I can choose another snake free. I'm going to the repile shop near the Apollo in Manchester tomoz and taking my viv to them to get the correct heat mat with stat etc as they have a good reputation then to stockport for another snake. Do you live in Timperley and do you have a corn snake or too ?

1 Ghost Corn Cecilia
1 Ultramel Corn Cecil
2 Dogs
4 Kids
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  20:44:22  Show Profile
Just did some checking on temp in viv and I was wrong when I said it was 25C at the cool end it is 21C at cool end and only 24 to 25C at hot side. The viv is a 12inch cube Exxo Terra which I was nformed was suitable for a hatchling for the first year before buying a bigger viv.
Was this too cool for digestion and thats why he was reguritating and losing fluids? With the shop setting up the viv I thought everything was ok. The sustrate is about 1 1/2 inches thick of aspen shavings which again the guy in the shop set up. I'm tanking the viv to another shop for advice and getting the correct heatmat and stat and checking temps prior to getting another snake.
IFeel really bad if this is was caused the death.I really need what the probable cause of death was so IT DOESN'T HAPPEN AGAIN I couldn't bear it myself nevermind my son. Whats your opinion guys I need to know but won't tell my son

1 Ghost Corn Cecilia
1 Ultramel Corn Cecil
2 Dogs
4 Kids
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  11:43:25  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
ideally you need to set the viv up at home before you get your snake - which you can in this instance

here's a shopping list, probably a lot you'll already have:
viv (the E-T viv should be covered on 3 sides to help your snake feel secure in it's environment)
substrate (aspen, beech chippings, paper, NOT pine or cedar based substrate)
2 hides of an appropriate size (one for each end)
1 water bowl (big enough for your snake to have a dip)
thermometer (at substrate level at the warm end of the viv)
thermostat (doesn't have to be a flash pulse or dimmer, basic matstats can be picked up for around £20)
heatmat (to cover one third to one half of the viv floor surface)
viv lock/wedges (if not an integral part of the viv)

warm end temp should be around 30*C, cool end is nominally room temperature.

of course you can spend more if you like, i can highly recommend pulse proportional stats but they are more expensive and basic ones work fine, digital thermometers that measure both the hot and cold ends, decor such as wood, vine and artificial plants. a book such as Kathy and Bil Love's 'Corn Snakes, the comprehensive owner's guide' is also a worthy investment (as well as being on thecornsnake.co.uk ! )

nice to hear the shop are being reasonable although i would be tempted to question the advice they previously gave you.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  11:50:58  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
can vouch for pulse proportional stats, had a problem with my warm end temp fluxuating so much, got a pulse stat an since then my warm end temp has never varied more that 2 Oc. much happier with it

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2009 :  16:45:00  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Sorry to hear about your snake, but I wouldn't blame yourself. By the sounds of it it wasn't eating properly all the time you had it, so it probably had some kind of condition that affected it when you bought it.

Hope you have more luck with your next snake.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000