snake mites???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2009 :  17:27:28  Show Profile
I think that my snake might have mites.... ive noticed tiny - light coloured bugs crawling all over it!
im crapping it, what can i do..... i have 4 snakes all together, so should i treat all of them to be safe?
Ive heard of something called 'pest strip'.... is this the best thing to use???
please help
nikki

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  11:57:41  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
if they cohabit or are all housed close to each other like in a stack or adjoining vivs it's quite likely the mites will spread, although mites are usually dark coloured.

you can try bathing the snakes in tepid water with a little bit of soap to break down the surface tension of the water to drown external parasites but there's always some that will survive on the snake's head (which needs to be out of the water for it to breathe!)
Frontline is a flea product commonly used for cats and dogs and can also be used to get rid of mites on snakes. it's the spray version you need, spray it onto a cloth then wipe the snake over with it, avoiding eyes, nose and mouth. best done in a well ventilated area.
whatever treatment you use you need to thoroughly clean the viv and contents too with a 10% bleach solution and dispose of all the substrate. ideally put each snake in a RUB with thoroughly cleaned pastic hides and bowls and on paper substrate for a few weeks until you're sure the mites have all gone. but beware, eggs can hatch usually within 3 weeks and re-infest your snakes.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  12:01:50  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
Snake mites are normally dark black in colour. Never heard of pest strip - but it doesn't sound good, sounds sticky? could cause damage to your snake if it is.

If they are light coloured bugs they may not be mites. Could have been on some wood you've purchased recently or in the subsrate?

If you're not sure if it's mites or not best bet is to take it to a reptile vet or someone who has had mites before.
If it is mites there is a post on the King Snake that tells what to do and explains more what they look like:

http://www.thekingsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=156&SearchTerms=mites

hope this helps.

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  12:03:30  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
Sorry GP must have been writing yours while I was writing mine.

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  14:34:26  Show Profile
I dont 'co-habbit any of my snakes but they are in a stack!!

Right well i just read the link from the king snake and it doesnt sound like these are'nt mites because the one i spotted was like a beige- sandy colour and really tiny... maybe it was a freshly hatched one or something??

Although saying that ive checked her 3 times since then and not seen anything else! Im just on my way over to triple 8 now to buy some 'mite- off' Ill also get some advice from craig down there... he knows his stuff!

Oh yeh, that 'pest-strip' .... i just had a look on the website i saw it on and it was an australian one! its not sticky but it works by gasing the mites (the fumes emit from the fabric!) apparently its more effective than other methods because the gases can reach all nooks & crannies of viv ect and as long as you get your dosage right, its totaly safe!! (its on 'smuggled.com if anyones interested)

Thanks so much for the advice!

x

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  15:37:49  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
'pest strip' is quite an old remedy that used to be commonly used in America, not seen it over here though. you're right that it's not sticky but the fumes from the impregnated strip kill the mites off everywhere, snake, viv, nooks and crannies. BUT it MAY be harmful to snakes if used longterm.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2009 :  16:38:45  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
If they are beigey they may be more likely to be creatures that are living in your wood. Have you bought any new viv decor recently?

When Evra had mites they were all black, regardless of size.

Nasty, awful things!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2009 :  19:24:51  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
could also have arrived with a new batch of substrate

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000