New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

23 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  12:56:49  Show Profile
hey all,

one of my corns has had a respiratory infection for about 2 months now since I got him. He started showing symptoms about a week after i bought him. He has had 4 injections of convenia over the weeks yet still he is wheezing and has a bubbly mucus in his mouth.

Are these infection usually this stubborn or am i doing something wrong?

*moved by moderator

Edited by - dazb on 11/01/2009 13:31:22

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  13:35:55  Show Profile
Just moved your post brad to the right section so right people can help you and it doesnt get lost in the general posts.

I personally am not knowledgable on RI's. I know a few people have dealt with them before so i will leave it for them to help you...

Edited by - dazb on 11/01/2009 13:38:43
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  13:45:49  Show Profile
What substrate are you using? How easy they are to treat depends on how early you realised it had it and how soon after it had the RI.

Edited by - matty18714 on 11/01/2009 13:46:04
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  17:45:36  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Reptiles in general take a long time to respond to any sort of medication, hopefully its working but slowly, keep us posted.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  21:22:43  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
snakes will normally thermoregulate to meet their requirements BUT a snake with an RI will often favour the cold end - to reduce the clinical symptoms - but this does mean that RI's can drag on. one way of dealing with it is to raise the temps throughout the viv to around 31-32*C - effectively giving him a 'fever' - like our own body defenses give us a fever to fight off infections. this method means he will get worse before he gets better but should bring the RI 'to a head'. if you do this you must monitor your snake very closely while his temps are raised for 24 hrs.

another approach you could take is to go back to the vets, it might be that the bacteria involved aren't sensitive to Convenia, so the vets could either try another antibiotic such as Baytril or Marbocyl, or take a swab and send it to the lab for them to determine which antibiotic will be effective.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

23 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  23:25:59  Show Profile
first off; thanks for all your help.

I noticed a slight wheeze coming from him and took him down the vets about a week later and since has had convenia every two weeks. his symptoms do ease whilst under the antibiotic but towards the end of the two weeks he starts getting bad again. he is on basics at the moment with plain kitchen towel, simple plastic container like those you get from a take-away and a cereal box hode that can be thrown away each week. I will increase his temp tomorrow

just feel so sorry for him and am really scared of losing him since he has the most character I have ever seen in a snake, he's brilliant.
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  05:15:36  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I've never had a really bad R.I but we have always used Baytril with ours.

You would think injections should clear it though.

Keep us posted on how he's doing. Hopefully raising the temps should help

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  21:27:23  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Convenia is a long-lasting antibiotic when given intra-muscularly, lasting for about 2 weeks. the fact that he improves after a Convenia injection suggests it IS having some affect so resistance shouldn't be a problem. however it might be worth asking to try Baytril or Marbocyl but they tend to be given orally - you have to syringe it down their throat every day, usually for 6-7 days.
my male snow has a chronic RI that seems to come and go. generally he's fine health-wise other than that, he certainly seems happy enough. i just have to give him a course of oral Baytril usually 1-3 times a year

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000