Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

137 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  00:20:23  Show Profile
Unfortunatly my mum has said that I have less chance of her and allowing me to have a snake than hell freezing over. She said that she would be able to live with a herbivores lizzard. So I have found the desert iguana, I was wondering if any of you lot have had any experience with them. help would be greatly appreciated. ToM

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  02:53:05  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Iguanas can make lovely pets, I had one a few years back.
One problem i found with mine, and i've heard witha few other iggy owners, they can sometimes get aggressive with women on a reular basis. I.e about once a month mine used to try to whip and bite my ex wife.
Whether or not this was just my particular iggy or not, i don't know, but i've heard similar things in the past.

On the hell freezing over thing though, there is a way that you can prove that hell already has, Hold on and i'll try to dig the text out from the interweb.

Found it.
http://www.accuweather.com/world-forecast.asp?partner=touchthesky&zipcode=EUR|NO|NO008|HELL|

You cannot click the link itself, it's broken up because of a transom line, you'll have to copy/paste everything that's underlined.

There you go, HELL, in Norway is currently averaging temperatures of -5 degrees. If you're assuming 0 degrees as near frozen, and -1 as frozen (based on water), then it's only safe to accept that Hell has indeed frozen over.

In fact, if you Google map it: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=hell,+norway&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title

It certainly looks frozen over as well.
Beat that then mum!

Also, Hell in Michigan is a bit cold as well. http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=hell&searchType=WEATHER
That's 2 places called Hell that can be proven to exist (that bit is important), that are currently having temperatures of below freezing.
Therefore, Hell (both of them) must be frozen over.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 30/12/2008 03:19:33
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

137 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  11:12:26  Show Profile
Thanx kehhlyr. Mum kinda ment the firey depths under the earth. On the iguana side, it's looking rather promising.
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  11:15:52  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Aren't Iguanas quite hard to keep though? I would think a snake would be a lot easier. Think about how often a Iguana must poo

P.S Kehhlyr- good work on the Hell thing

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  12:40:27  Show Profile
Kehhlyr, to much time on your hands?

Snakes beat lizards try harder to convince your mum Tommy

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

137 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  14:01:23  Show Profile
No chance of it happening i'm afraid to say, and with the lizzard pooing .. don't snake reguritate everything they eat, or did i see something really wierd??
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

137 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  14:02:19  Show Profile
One iguanas and living in a nice warm house is better than either no pet, or a snake and being homeless right.
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  14:14:53  Show Profile
Iggys are great but can be males aggressive and they do tend to have a go at hormonal ladies. My friends had a total hissy fit when i went to visit just after i'd had a baby. I wouldn't really suggest them as a first lizard.

Have you thought about a beardie? or even a uromastyx, they are really nice and no livefood needed so thats a bonus.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  14:46:31  Show Profile
I would agree with Tizzy's comment, i'm not sure that an iguana would make a good first lizard to be honest. They are beautiful creatures as are all reptiles, however like Tizzy said, there are other lizards more suitable for a first time lizard. I would also suggest a bearded dragon, as they are quite easy to maintain also, they are usually very funny to watch and have great characteristics, easy to handle to. Also a lizard like the bearded dragon will give you more experience with lizards, preparing you for a harder species to look after such as the iguana. Do you have a budget? as uv lighting is needed as well as another basking light. There is also the appropriate sized cage to keep in mind.
Mart
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  14:50:43  Show Profile
I like plated lizards

http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/black-linned-plated-lizard.html

I think kehhlyr used to have some of them

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  17:05:01  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Being a scientist I have the same problem most scientists have and find the existance of heaven/hell hard to swallow. If I can prove to her that neither heaven nor hell exist, will she let you have a snake????

Don't worry guys I'm not going all Richard Dawkins on you

Not trying to cause problems but have you tried the guilt trip method? Always works with me when my kids do it .

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  18:09:11  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address
Id go for the Iggy, sinse you said Desert Iguana.
They dont grow as big as the Green Iggys and I would imagine they arent so demanding.
From what ive read, they only get between 10-15inches, Including the tail.

But a snake would be better :P

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  18:21:09  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
It's easy to prove that hell exists, it's on google maps in the 2 places i've said, apart from that, your mum CANNOT prove the alleged fiery pits beneath the earth.
It's all supposition, and hearsay. (can anyone tell i'm a non-believer )

As for the Black-linned plated lizard, yes i did have one of those, brilliant lizard, although not as entertaining as a beardie.
You can get them for about 25 quid as adults near me.
Got photos somewhere, i'll dig em out.

Here's pics of my lizard, also known as a Great plated. He used to play with the cat, hence the photos.

His name was Percy, he used to eat Crickets and pinkies. Brilliant lizard he was, I liberated him from a poor owner which is why he had no tail.

quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Kehhlyr, to much time on your hands?

I clearly do, that post was at 3am!!

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 30/12/2008 18:53:08
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  20:16:02  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
aaah, crickets! can your mum put up with the constant chirping and constant escapees TommyC? on the otherhand, a freezer full of dead mice are very quiet and tend to stay put

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

137 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  22:25:00  Show Profile
exactly gp. the crickets is wot honestly put me off the beardies. i was origionally going for one of them bout a year ago. but i have a phobia of insects and would not be able to feed them to my lizzard. Thats wots so appealing bout the iguanas .. the whole veggie bit.

My mum could cope with dead frozen more than crickets, coz the mice don't smell, move, eat, poo or wee. I could put them in an opaque box and forget bout them. if u know of any other lizzard thats a vegie please and a good starter, let me know .. coz the snake really sn't an option anymore .. and i could kill because of that.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

137 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  22:28:52  Show Profile
i researched the uromastyx like tizzy said. are they a good starter, coz they is veggie. wooop
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  22:32:02  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
In that case why not go for a plated lizard, they'll eat frozen pinkies as well as most soft fruit and veg.
The only fruits to avoid really for them are acidy ones, like oranges and lemons etc.

Just remember to dust their meals (i used to do every other) with a calcium supplement if they're not eating much animal matter.
It's the sort of thing that if you know anyone else that has crickets/mealies for their lizard then you can always pilfer a couple of them every so often as well.

What town/county are you in TommyC?

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 30/12/2008 22:38:01
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

137 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  22:47:58  Show Profile
i think i'll look into them. Thanx

and i'm just outside of chester in cheshire. which is bout 20miles from Liverpool
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

137 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  22:49:46  Show Profile
and they can have just pinkies, even wen young. no insects wot so ever
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  23:49:05  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by TommyC

i think i'll look into them. Thanx

and i'm just outside of chester in cheshire. which is bout 20miles from Liverpool

I lived in Runcorn in the mid 90's, trying to think of any decent rep places near you that could still be there.

quote:
Originally posted by TommyC

and they can have just pinkies, even wen young. no insects wot so ever

Again, the same rule as with snakes though, it depends on the size of the lizard.
I've never had, (or seen) a young Plated or Uromastyx so i couldn't say on that i'm afraid.

Oddly enough, does anyone else think that Uro's look like they're a cross between Beardies and Plateds? or is it just me?

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2008 :  10:42:10  Show Profile
Yeah i guess they do a bit. Uro's are great all the personality of a beardie without the £15 a week food bill. Wish i'd known that before i got my beardie!

I cant believe the cat and that plaited lizard play. My dogs are good as gold with the reps but the cat? He's shut out the house when they're out and about or they would be lunch.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000