feeding
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  17:51:08  Show Profile
hi, i dont no how much 2 feed my snake, she (or he) ats 6 pinkies in 1 day so i got some fuzzies and she(or he) is eatin 2! is that 2 much??
she(or he) was born in july not 2 shore how long she(or he) is, i dont know how 2 measure her (or him) lol thanks xxx

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  18:19:04  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
6 pinkies! That seems loads!

At 4 months I wouldn't feed them more often than 2 pinkies or 1 fuzzie every 5-7 days.

Corns can be easily overfed because they usually eat whatever you put in front of them. Try to lower the intake, because I think it's more healthy to under feed than overfeed. Snakes in the wild go ages without food, so if in doubt, feed less than you think as this is less harmful than overfeeding them.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  19:29:41  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
6 pinkies! - that is far too much sorry.

As Kaz says, less is more for Corns.

1 or 2 fuzzies is much better for them.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  20:40:16  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
Mines the same age and i have just moved her on to 1 fuzzy every 5 days instead of 2 pinkys every 7 days.Im only feeding every 5 days to give a bit of a growth spurt but will be feeding less often when i move up again.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  11:05:47  Show Profile
how much should i be feeding her(or him) because the place i got her (or him) says shes feeding normal and thats what all the others are eating on saterday i fed her(or him) 2 fuzzies and she (or he) wasnt looking for more, when she(or he) had 6 pinkies she(or he) was looking for more food each time lol xxx
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  11:13:24  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I would recommend that a corn should only eat a appropriately sized prey item every:

4-5 days for a hatchling
5-8 days for a yearling or juvenile
7-14 days for an adult

An appropriately sized prey item should be a mouse that is about the same size as one and a half times the size of your snakes head. You should see a visible bump after the snake as eaten and if you don't you need to move up a size.

Since yours is only a baby, I think he/she should be on about the same as Lee2308's snake. It sounds about right for a 4 month old.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  13:37:09  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
Mine's always still searches around for more but you have to put your foot down and say NO! I think it was kaz who said there like mary poppins handbag,greedy buggers.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2008 :  20:11:07  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
if a pet shop's telling you to feed 6 pinkies i'm sorry but i think they're just after your money!
1-2 fuzzies evey 5-7 days sounds about right (as previously suggested by everyone pinkies will have a higher fat content (which lowers the bigger the mouse gets) and snakes can get obese suffering similar problems to obese people - fat furring up the arteries and covering internal organ.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  22:27:13  Show Profile
i have got a snake for my christmas. i know a good bit about snakes. but i really dont know about how long you should have a snake out for (handling).can you handle a snake for too long ?

marcus williamson
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  03:02:20  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Most people will say yes, mine come out nearly every day, but are seldom out for longer than 45 mins maybe an hour each when being handled.
Snakes generally want to do their own thing (try to escape, curl up somewhere warm etc) and i believe that when they're out for to long it could get them stressed.

The to long though will vary from snake to snake, My Kelloggs is content for about 30 mins before he starts getting edgy, Crunchy Nut is happy enough to have a wriggle up sleeves, in hoodie pockets and hair and stuff like that for about an hour. Sid though would stay out all day if she could, she has a good wander/nosy around then will coil around my wrist for 10 mins or so to chillax, then she'll be off again for a bit, then back to the wrist and so on.

So it's a judgement issue on the snake really, but at the end of the day, i'd still say 45 mins to an hour is a decent enough time. Maybe less if they come out twice a day.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  11:14:58  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
if he's only new to you lunar i'd keep handling to short periods initially, especially if he's a youngster. also small snakes cool down more quickly so can start to feel chilly, then it's time to put him back

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000