Injured snake
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  22:30:19  Show Profile
Hello, I would appreciate some advice please. My young corn snake escaped from his vivarium. I found him tonight and am afraid to say my cat has injured him. There are scratches where a claw has pierced his scales and torn them off. The exposed membrane has not been pierced. Is this likely to heal or should I contact a vet? I'm not sure if our vet would be able to to do anything for him. He seems fine and is back in his vivarium with the lid made more secure. Thanks in advance for any advice.

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  22:33:09  Show Profile
Can you show us any pictures? A vet check is probably a good idea.

Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  22:40:15  Show Profile
Hi... I'm fairly new to snakes, and from what I have read, their skin injuries heal as they shed their skins.

However, the thing I would be most likely to worried about if you say the scratches have not penetrated more than the top layer is the possibility of infection setting in from cats claws.

I cannot even offer advice about using things like watered down human antiseptics, as I would on certain other animals scrapes, as I really do not know how these chemicals may affect a snake. I am also not sure how shock affects reptiles. Hopefully someone who knows more than I do will see your post soon and be able to help.... Really sorry to hear about the injuries.

Corns (as indeed most snakes) are apparently fantastic escape artists, so I really cannot stress enough the importance of ensuring your viv is really secure.

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  23:00:19  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
First off, Hi, and welcome to the forum.

When Kelloggs escaped last year, my cat found him.
He had the same, a few scratches and a missing scale, but nothing bad/deep.
I used a reptile scale stuff (can't remember it's name, i'll find it tomorrow) over it that was essentially TCP for reps.

My cat actually got more damaged, so i'd also recommend checking your cats legs, tail, ears and face. Especially around the nose area.

And before Kaz says it, I will: Get a Burm, it'll be the last time your cat goes for a snake! Kaz is not a cat lover

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 09/12/2008 23:01:56
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

362 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  10:22:11  Show Profile
My cat has got a nasty bite but I've had both my snakes out in the same room as him, just staying very wary of where the cat is and he seems to ignore them. Saying that, they are in my hands though, I imagine if they were on the floor it would be a different story lol.

In my opinion, quick trip to the vets to make sure they are both ok if I were you. Then I have heard that the reptile skin care stuff works wonders.
http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productsubcategories.php?SubCategoryID=246
There are a few different products worth looking at.

1 Carolina Corn Snake
1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  15:16:32  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I know when my king had a damaged scale, the vet didn't give us anything for it and it healed ok, but that was a clean wound. If the cats done it I would definately invest in some of that stuff that Mulv has linked to to stop any infections developing.

Has for the cat- don't bother getting a burm. We've ran out of meat in our freezer- send it up and I'll make some burgers for when Kehhlyr comes around for tea

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  16:32:45  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
You can keep the cat burgers, i'm considering having duck........ ALREADY!!!

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  17:27:34  Show Profile
Oh dear - What have they done.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  17:34:14  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I like duck! invite me, invite me- I'll bring the pancakes

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

362 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  18:49:50  Show Profile
Ill bring that sauce stuff... Hoi sin? Plum? God knows but it's good stuff.

1 Carolina Corn Snake
1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  21:04:28  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Tamodine for cleaning wounds on reptiles.
cats claws carry all sorts of germs so the area should at least be cleansed thoroughly, but if you're sure they haven't penetrated the skin a vet trip hopefully shouldn't be needed

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  21:05:06  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
and sorry to hear about the naughty ducks Kehhlyr, what have they been up to ???

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000